Rainy days and chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pardee_Boy, May 17, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    My question is it to leave the coop open to the run during rainy / crappy days ? My chickens aren't very smart when it comes time to go into the coop at night time. So i'm worried if I leave the door open they will huddle on the wet ground and not go inside . I have opened it up on nasty days for fresh air and if they want to check things out during the day only to find them huddled up and shivering . They are only about 3 months old at this time and don't fully get the whole up and down the ramp thing yet. Any advice is welcome.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Admittedly this is not directly responsive to your question, but...have you considered covering part of the run so that they can get out of the coop on rainy days? That's what we did this winter, thinking that when spring rolled back around that we'd uncover it, BUT we appreciate the cover it gives them in inclement weather and on blistering hot days, so we left it right where it was.

[​IMG]

3. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    I have a overhang / roof over the pop door that goes for about four feet plus the coop is off the gorund and they can roam under that as well so about a total of a 8x4 foot section out of the rain but they still get wind. I'm out in the open so the wind carries the rain fairly well. I went out and opened it up to feed and water them they hopped right out into the rain and didn't care lol. So i guess they are fine with it . I just wonder what they'll do while i'm at work and refuse to climb up to roost. I have spent a few nights inside of the coop crawling on my belly to catch some of them to get them up into the coop for bedtime . Maybe I'll start the treat trick and call to them when feeding.
    ll

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously? They don't get the whole up and down the ramp thing? One way to make them practice on the ramp is to keep the feeder in the coop along with water. Only water in the run. That way, they'll get practice walking up and down that ramp several times each day because they are hungry. As to the bedtime chicken rustling, I suggest that you turn the light on in the coop about 1/2 hour before sundown. They are reluctant to go into a dark coop, but as it starts getting dark and scary outside, they'll be attracted to the light. You can turn out the light when you go out to close the pop door. Also, don't be too anxious to round them up and put them to bed the minute the sun is below the horizon. My hens sometimes won't go inside until it's nearly dark in the run. Last night it was 10:30pm - 1 1/2 hours after sunset here. How long have your girls been out in their coop/run? Mine have been out with a heat lamp in the coop since they were 4 weeks old. The first night I had to round them up and make them go in the coop and that's just what I did. I put them about half way up the ramp and gave them a little pat from behind to make them go up the ramp and in through the door on their own steam. I didn't pick them up and put them into the coop. The second night, no problem. I came out about 45 minutes after sundown and all were inside. They all "get it" eventually, but you want them to do so sooner rather than later. That whole "chicken roundup" routine is a real drag.

5. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    my 10 week olds are not even roosting yet(?) and only recently started to realize they should go in at dusk because they saw the older girls doing it, I believe. but once they're contained in the shed they still huddle together in a corner. my other girls did not seem to do the dusktime trance thing(they go to roost to do it) until they were 3 months old or more. good luck.

6. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Few days have passed and they are finally roosting . I did just notice one of my hen's is a HE.. So the roo does a nice job of leading around the coop and the up and down ramp deal. I go out about 30-45 mins after dusk to find all four of them up on the roost bars and settled down for the night. It only took a few weeks but they have it down now. Its funny to watch them go in a line one by one off to bed.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm so happy for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by