rainy days and how to deal with new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlechickies, Jul 26, 2013.

1. littlechickies

littlechickies In the Brooder

May 23, 2013
    We have a new flock, I feed and water my flock outside of the coop. The coop is raised and so the food and water is under there so the girls and boys can eat and drink in shade and out of the rain. Last heavy rain my daughter and I had to place the chickens in the coop, they hung out under it and would have gotten very wet after a while. This morning a light rain started. I am not sure I should open the door to let them out to feed, or if I should keep it closed and put food and water inside the coop. I don't want them getting wet and sick because they are too silly to take one or two steps in the rain to enter the coop.
    how do other people handle this.

2. woodsygal

woodsygal In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine walk around in light rain all the time. I never worry about it as they seek shelter when it rains too hard.

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would open their pop door every morning unless there is a blizzard or severe storms. An ideal set-up is to have a fortified run so that the door is always open from the coop to the run. This way they can go outside for fresh air as they wish. They will know to go inside at dusk and during times of bad weather. Mine love to be outside in light rains. Probably the best time to find worms that come out of the wet soil.

[​IMG]

4. littlechickies

littlechickies In the Brooder

May 23, 2013
    thanks for the reply!!I guess my concern is they seek shelter UNDER the coop and that can eventually get cold and muddy? not sure if they will venture out from under it to go inside and if they do should I put food and water there since it may rain most of the day off and on?

The coop and run are all fenced in so if I open their door they have the large yard area and under the coop to hang out. We also sometimes open the door to they yard so they can free range ( that is when I find them at my porch door on the second floor looking for treats)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  5. woodsygal

woodsygal In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine love hanging out under the coop for shade or to get out of the rain. I throw straw and grass clippings under it to keep it from being muddy. If they get too cold or wet they'll go inside.

6. americaunus

americaunus In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2012
    The only issue we have had are muddy eggs. The chickens seem to do fine. We open up in the morning and close the coop at night. They have the rest of the day to come and go as they please. They do not seem to mind the rain, as long as it is not pouring.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in the PNW and my birds spend a lot of time in the rain and mud. None have ever gotten sick. They come and go as they please from the coop to the run, they really are smart enough to seek shelter when it gets too bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by