Rainy Days

luvmyhens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
La Mirada, California
Hello Everyone,

It's raining here in California, this is the first rain of the season with my new flock of hens. They are used to free ranging and really hate to be in their coop. My question is --- Is it O.K. for them to be out in the rain all day? I really don't want sick hens.

Thank you for your advice.
A new chicken raiser and loving it.
love.gif

Ours go out in all but the most furious of downpours. I saw one trying to dustbathe yesterday in the packed down yet still slightly muddy orchard....
Crazy birds....

There are different threads on this topic active right now, which is fine. Must be that time of year for some people. You are not alone in your thinking or concern.

If they are not young chicks but are fully feathered out, they will be OK. Their outer feathers has some oil in them that helps shed water. Not as good as ducks for swimming but OK for rain. Earthworms come to the surface during a rain. Chickens love earthworms. So, yeah, I agree. Give them to option to do what they wish.

I open the door to my coops every day and let them decide. Never once have my chickens stayed in because of the weather. I have roomy coops, but they much prefer to be outside.

It's rainy up here in NH today, too. Opened the pop door as usual this morning and the chickens have been in and out all day. When the rain gets to be too much, they go back into the coop for a while. They huddle down in the shavings and snuggle together to keep warm. I did put their treat bowl in the coop today so they would not have to stay out if they didn't want to.

I was just about to post the same question! I have my first hens free ranging in Rancho Cucamonga (southern California) and I keep seeing them grazing across the yard in a steady rain. I guess they'll be okay, but I wish they would go in thier hen house!
idunno.gif

"Mad as a wet hen." Hmmmm. Bedraggled IS a better word. But then again, if a hen was wettened (wetted? got wet?) against her will, she WOULD be mad.

Sorry... just noodling here... mine like the rain. Of course, we haven't had a downpour of any great strength yet. They DO hate the wind, though. Get all annoyed about having their feathers blown the wrong way when they try to walk WITH the wind. Must chill their butts. Or maybe they're just fashion hens and don't like looking silly.

HA! But if that were the case, then they would NEVER run anywhere! Who can keep from laughing at a running chicken??

Send some of that rain up north thisaway, will ya's? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom