Rainy Days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dennyb, Oct 28, 2013.

1. dennyb

dennyb Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Does it hurt my hens to be out in the rain? First rain today and they didn't go in the
    coup on their own. Thx ahead of time.

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    No, Rain will not hurt them as long as they have a dry place when they feel the need for shelter.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Mine always look like drowned rats. They don't seem to mind but I lock them in the coop if the weather is too bad but only because I don't want the rain coming in the coop

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Mine have several areas they can go when it rains but they tend to stay out & don't seem to mind being soaked. However when its cold & rainy I usually keep them in the covered run.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    As adults, they can handle rain without a dry place. Many of mine have no shelter from rainfall during winter months. Only concern I have with rain on adults involves freezing rain where feathers free up making staying warm difficult. Chicks in down need protection from rain. Juveniles are not as tough as adults when rainfall is heavy.

They will avoid heavy rain when they can and go through some interesting behaviors to protect against rain damage to feather function. Extreme rain events can compromise insulator value of feather and flying abilities needed to avoid predators and to get to the roost.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hmm.. arent rainy days bad for chickens? I read chickens get cocci from the wet grounds/dirt and other things. so im a little confused =(

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All chickens with access to ground will become infected with cocci.. Once their immune system is trained up on controlling cocci they can handle the exposure just fine. Problem with wet soil conditions is when it promotes extremely high exposure rates in birds that have not yet developed an immunity. This applies particularly to young birds. Additionally, birds foraging in areas with high feces density where ground is also consistently wet must deal with more intense exposures.

8. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oh noo :( that doesnt sound good. I water my lawn every other day, and thats the lawn where my chickens run around on beacuse i only have one lawn in my backyard XD. So i would say the soil and the grass is probably mostly moist everyday.. Will that increase the chances of my chickens getting the disease? They've been on it for 3 months now ;o

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by