Rainy Dayz and Molting

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    lol! So here in Sacramento we are getting a wave of rain and fog and all that good stuff [​IMG] of course my Brahma decides to begin molting. So she was out, in the rain, pecking around doing chickiny stuff with the flock, and looking rather pathetic. Before she was sprinkled on I hadn't really noticed bald spots or a drastic change but boyy rain does it! LOL So I got some pictures of my Grumpy Girl with the "bad hair day". Pardon the STINK EYE she was not happy to be photographed hehe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Shhhh though don't tell her I am showing you guys... [​IMG]

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    It's been very rainy here, too, even though I live a few hours away from Sacramento. I love how the chickens' neck feathers always fluff up to make a mohawk when it rains [​IMG] They always look like drowned rats when it pours

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Haha I was out there today getting pics of my girls too, they love playing in the rain... although I do have to say your girl isn't bad AT ALL. I have one hen I rescued about 4 months back and she is just now starting to molt, and boy oh boy does she look BAD! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    This is my first experience with a molting chicken. LoL my other 4 girls didn't have anywhere close to that bad of a hair day lol! And there are feathers everywhere, in the coop it looks like my Brahma got hit by a mac truck off the roost and all that's left is a neat pile of feathers!

It's not a hard molt, she doesn't have any obvious bare spots yet, but definately molting. She stopped laying a few weeks ago which is common with molting I have read. MY mom is convinced she will freeze in out.... 40 degree winters.. [​IMG] Hehe but I keep telling her that people own chickens in Montana, even ALASKA, and those chickens do molt at some point lol.

But Monica, the Brahma, had plenty of coverage from the rain including trees (that won't lose leaves) and a big covered patio, but noooo she had to be right in the open lol!! Crazy chickens [​IMG]

But it's a decent trade off. Brahma starts molting, and one of my Wyandottes is squatting!! An egg for an egg huh? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by