Rainy Monday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Aug 16, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My chickies (nine weeks old) have been out in the coop for about two weeks now, and they haven't yet had to deal with the rain. We usually let them free range during the day, but we do have a small enclosed run (6' x 8' for six chickens). Today it's very rainy....Is it okay to leave their coop door open today, and see what they do? I don't want them to get soaking wet and get a chill! Who would have thought I would be so worried about these babies [​IMG]

2. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    My hens have gotten soaking wet. They like the rain(not so much the snow though). It brings out the bugs and worms. They have never gotten a chill. They can come in and out of the coop if they want to dry off. If it is going to be a cold night, I try to get them in the coop a little early with some scratch, so they can dry off before they roost up, but that is when the temps will plummet rapidly at night, like in the early spring or late fall. They will be just fine if they choose to get wet in the summer in RI. [​IMG]

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks! I bet it gets super chilly in NH! We have a time share in North Conway, I love it up there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by