Raise straight--run, all pullet or all cockeral broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by foxrfarm, Mar 13, 2013.

1. foxrfarm

foxrfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Medina, MN
    I am wondering if anyone has experience with the profitability of raising straight run, all pullet, or all cockerel broilers. Obviously, the cockerals cost a bit more, but they usually dress out heavier too. Any thoughts or experiences?

2. Charlieandlola

Charlieandlola Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    I raised straight run. If butchering yourself, this is probably a good way to go because you just take out the birds as they reach the desired weight. I don't do the butchering, so this didn't work out well for me. Some of the males were too big, some died, they should have been butchered at 6-7 weeks, but I waited so that the females could get a little bigger and took all of them at 8 weeks.

This year I was planning on raising all pullets. Most people I sold to last year said they'd prefer a smaller bird. I guess I could have purchased all males and taken them to butcher earlier....but, for some reason, I picked all females. I will most likely keep them 8 weeks. If had chosen all males, I would have set up a butcher date of 6.5-7 weeks.

When I raised freedom rangers, which go to butcher at 12 weeks, I did not notice a difference between the genders. They all thrived and got to about the same size.

3. SunnysMama

SunnysMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    SE Idaho
    I always raise straight run and butcher all at the same time, that way you get fryers and roasters. If I happen to have some exceptionally small ones (which I never have), they work great for cornish game size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by