1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

raised bed planter converted to brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmanley, Feb 10, 2013.

1. tmanley

tmanley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi folks
    Like it said and this is what its turning out like.
    Questions remaining is what heat lights to use and why?
    Also, is the quarter inch hardware cloth alright for the floor.
    I can always drop a floor in it.
    btw its on its side to show bottom.
    Plastic is to separate heated side so they can move over away from heat.
    [​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Most use a red heat lamp of either 125 or 250 watts depending on how much you are having to heat (size,number of chicks and indoor/outdoor). Some are made for brooders and don't have a teflon coating (bad). You need some type of bedding in top of the wire mesh. This keeps them warmer and prevents foot injuries. You can remove the plastic (they will pick at it) and put the lamp at one end of the brooder. I would recomend a screen top to allow ventilation and to allow the heat to escape on the cooler end. Aslo will keep them in after they get wing feathers. Turn the light on a day ahead of putting the chicks in to allow the temperature to stabilize for an accurate reading. Most use one of the metal reflectors on the light. Do Not trust the clamp on the light to hold it securely. If it falls it can cause a fire. Add a chain or tie the cord suspending it above the brooder so it can be raised. They need less heat as they get older. 95 degrees F the first week and about 5-7 degrees less each week until feathered. Watching them is the easiest way though.If they stay huddled under the light they are too cold, if they lay at the far end from the light too hot. Mine at four weeks were weaned from the light but were indoors at 65 degrees.

3. tmanley

Jan 18, 2013
    Good info thanks.
    Will be 30 of them (barred rocks) bought a reflector getting bulb.
    I have a plywood top on it but thought the open bottom would be enough venting.
    Can change it easily.
    Might a open bottom and top be to drafty?

4. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I would put bedding in the bottom and screen the top. Might want to put some cardboard covering the hardware cloth bottom to keep the bedding in.

5. tmanley

Jan 18, 2013
    The brooder will be outside in a shed with no door and the temps are in the 50's to low 40's.
    Is there a risk of them getting chilled even with the 250W lamp?

6. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    As long as they have their warm area at one end they will be fine.

7. tmanley

Jan 18, 2013
    Great thanks
    fuzzy butts are due to be delivered next weekend

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by