1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raised bed starting

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by heatherledet, Mar 28, 2016.

1. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    I want to start a raisef bed garden. If i use news paper or card board should i put sone coffe grounds down first with egg shells and peels and then the paper or cardboard with the soil over. And if i till up a hill and add weed stop and composted soil with the regular dirt will that be okay. And how long should i wait to sow in my vegetable plants which are sprouting?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What do you mean by "weed stop"? You can make your raised bed any way you want to. You might enjoy checking out Patricia Lanza's "Lasagna Gardening" book. It should get you going to produce a wonderful little raised bed.

3. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    inthink i saw a miricle grow produxt for gardens safe for plants and stops weeds. I cant recall the name. I will check it out. Thanks

4. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    I had tilled up some area before i put blocks down. I was going traditional but decided to do rasied. I perfer the look. I have the boarder of blocks together and the bottom is all tilled ground. I think i will jist fill it with garden soil and save the fuss.

5. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is it, our first garden. I have a few potted plants from my fathers funeral >2 years ago and i did pretty well with them. Theyre beautiful. I wanted small and like the way rasied beds look. This inner area is 3' 3" x 6' and there are 32 holes! We have some tomatoes, zuchinni, parsley, mint and lavendar. I need to go pick up some cucumber, peppers, lettuce, carrots, garlic and strawberries. So excited! I hope this turns out well! Will this tilled land and added gardening soil be good enough? Do i need anything with that?

6. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    The dirt in there is from a old hill from a load of top soil we tilled up.

7. Bee Buzy

Bee Buzy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    we do the lasagna garden method every fall it's makes the soil so great

8. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    if you live in a state that can get pretty hot -- 100-ish degree

avoid using metal or concrete as the frame for your raised garden bed

since when it's high noon the roots that are close/touching those concrete blocks are being cooked pretty much + you will have to water more with metal/concrete

use woods that are rot resistance is more ideal.. like redwood for example.

Do not use treated woods since the chemical will leach into the soil and then into your veggies/plants.

9. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a small raised bed for the last couple of years. I really enjoyed it. I raised several different things in it and it was easy to tend since it was small.

[​IMG]

This year I've started a Back to Eden garden. I will be using the above raised bed for my asparagus bed. I layered it with cardboard, compost, manure and topped it with leaves & pine straw. I let it sit over the fall/winter. I had it full to the top of the blocks, but it has composted down to the second row. I put a row of green beans along the back and planted my asparagus in the bed.

[​IMG]

Over the weekend, I took the top row of cinder blocks off and made another bed on the other side of my barn. I layered that bed and put strawberries in it. Marigolds & nasturtiums are put in the holes in both beds. I also put another row of green beans along the back of the strawberry bed to grow up a trellis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by