Raised beds

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by worms7, Jan 24, 2017.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Would 50 litre of aged horse manure mixed into a raised bed be ok or is it to much bed is 6x3
    And is it ok to mix it 1-2 month before planting
    Cheers Phil

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes. If it's well composted. No visible horse buns. How old is it? Plant nitrogen loving crops in there and they should do well.

3. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    Be sure to test any horse manure or horse manure compost before putting it in your garden beds. A lot of it has persistant herbicides in it and will destroy tomatoes and many other broadleaf plants such as green beans. Take a pot with no compost in it and plant a couple green bean seeds in it. Then plant some in a pot with some horse manure in it. If the one with the manure has deformed leaves your compost is poison. BEWARE!!!!!!

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Good to know. I've not brought any manure in for years, but a good test none-the-less. One could also use the test when buying hay or straw for mulch. But, again, I only buy from a farmer who I know. And every season, I question him re: what's been applied to his fields.

5. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    The one I get is already baged from the shop/store so it should be ok
    Cheers Phil

6. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    I just love manure and I get it from 2 different places. One has picloram...but the other is testing fine so far. I use the " bad stuff" on my pasture. The other stuff may go on the garden but I am still getting goat manure and chicken manure from my place. Most will be composted for my fall garden.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

8. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    Ah yes, black gold. I also suffer manure envy.

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Hubby shared a quote from the internet the other day. A doctor asks his patient: "Do you or any of your family members suffer from mental illness?" The patient pondered the question for a bit, then replied, "NO, we rather enjoy it!"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have to check chicken manure/compost too?

I have heard you can't use "hot" manure straight from the pen because the nitrogen will burn the plants? That is has to sit for 6 months to 1 year first? But what about a pile of old pine shavings/manure, veggie scraps, etc. That had been sitting like a year or more? I have added veggies, egg shells, some more poop etc. To the top but the bottom is old/compost. Do you think it's safe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by