raised bump, white pus and sweet smell

urbanfarmer101

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have a year and a half old polish crested female. I noticed she is staying on the perch more than usual. She is eating free ranges aqnd just finished her molt. I found a pencil eraser raised spot between her toes. When I poked it, white pus discharged from it. I also noticed a sweet, sickly smell about her. She has another spot higher up between the next two toes. It is the same size but it has a crusted scab and is dry. Both raised spots are her leg color. Should I lance it? Any ideas??

Sounds like bumble foot.

Do a search, there are step by step instructions about how to take care of it.

you'll need medical tape, sugar, idodine, neosporin ointment and something to wash the wound with once you remove the scabs and squeeze out all of the pus.

Soak it every night in warm betadine and epsom salt water. Make the water tea colored.. (those were vet instructions)
When you you soak it it loosens the scab and the scab will eventually pop out. Then healing usually starts...
Get a triple antibiotic ointment and gauze and vet wrap and wrap the foot every night until it heals.
Depending on how bad it is..she may need meds from the vet.

Last edited:
Do you think she could have scaley leg mites and infection has set in there?

If so, what redhen said should help.

I spray my perches once a month and dose the girls with ivermectin. I doubt it's mites. All her scales are flat and smooth. It's probably bumblefoot. I am already grossed out.
roll.png

Quote:
you can take care of it, just follow the step by step instructions.

also look for spots on your roosts that would cause a problem with their feet.

I ended up finding some nails that were sticking up on a couple of the roosts. We knocked them back where they belonged and then put duct tape over those areas for good measure.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom