1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raised coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by City2Farm, Feb 28, 2008.

1. City2Farm

City2Farm New Egg

Feb 28, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Hi all! Newbie here! I have ZERO chicken-coop-building experience... or building-anything-other-than-a-sandwich experience for that matter [​IMG]

Anyhoo, I noticed that the floor of many coops, when viewed from the outside, are raised above the ground. Why is this? Is it just a convenience thing of not having to level/pack the ground or am I missing something important?

Thanks [​IMG]

Edited to fix subject... sorry 'bout that

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A raised floor (and raised high enough that vermin will not try to set up housekeeping underneath) is guaranteed insurance against mud and flood; and it can't easily be dug into by predators, as a dirt floor could.

You wouldn't want to put a wooden floor right against the ground anyhow as it would rather immediately start to rot out. The other alternative, concrete, is quite expensive to install.

Does that sort of answer your question? [​IMG]

Pat

3. City2Farm

City2Farm New Egg

Feb 28, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Ohhhhh! That makes sense, I kind of figured I was missing something.

Thanks a million Pat!

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I raised mine for two reasons, one so I do not have to bend down so much and
    two it is over three feet off the ground so there is plenty of room for them to be sheltered from the rain and sun and wind and still be outside. They like it under there, they dust bathe and leep, I even have a nice feeder recessed so the rain and snow doesn't get it wet.

I did put panels on each side to stave off the wind etc and since it is against the house they stay pretty cozy outside. I never had a problem with critters and hope it stays that way.
    I built this myself so it is pretty easy.

[​IMG]

sorry I never get the pics the first time.

5. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I raised mine so it would be easier to clean out, collect eggs and we wanted a covered run. I did not want a walk in coop and with the area we built the coop on it was not level. So putting it up on "legs" made it easier to level.

Honestly, it really is level, took this picture this afternoon. I was kneeling down to take the picture as my dogs played behind me...

[​IMG]

I still need to paint a few places but with winter and the rain well it just has not happened...

[​IMG]

6. jmschristiansen

jmschristiansen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Parker County, Texas
    I think it really just depends on what you want. I built a walk-in coop, with a packed dirt floor. I filled it up with oak leaves after the dirt, and so far it has stayed dry, and never smells. I have added more leaves several times, and the chickens really seem to like rooting around in them. I plan on doing the deep litter method, and just keep adding, as they tear up the leaves and pack them down.

I like being able to go into the coop, to feed and water, and just look at the chickens. I also have a chicken tractor, for my newest chicks, and it just isn't as much fun for me.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Our coop is raised because we irrigate ever two weeks for a large portion of the year. I was tired of muddy eggs and it wasnt fair to my birds since they had to stand in water for almost two days. Its way easier as well.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Raised are great if your coops are on the small side like those pictured. Much bigger than that, they are a back killer to clean out.

For larger coops you can't beat a walk in that you can actually stand up in. Wire dug into the ground around the perimeter of a ground based coop works well.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Rosemarie & Pony, those are both really nice looking coops, not sure I've seen pics of them before. I like the way yours is hooked to the house Rosemarie, keeps it from being too obvious tot he neighbors and Pony, yours is just plain cute!!
    City2Farm..you have 2 great examples there to model after! Good luck!

10. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Hey Darlene,

Oh mine is not hooked to the house just up against it.
    I posted my coop so many times I thought people would start to think I was showing off,[​IMG]

I find the height I raised it too is perfect for me. But to tell the truth if I were to get the chance to have one level to the ground so I could walk in and clean I might like that better. In fact I may be moving and I will definetely look for a small shed on the spot. Then build them a little shelter like the ones children stand under waiting for the school bus but smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by