Raised Doughnuts or Coffee Cake...The Pittsburgh Press – March 16, 194

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I found this old news paper online and it had some intresting recipes. I decided to use this one to make some cinnamon rolls and they turned out to be some of the best I've ever had. I did all the mixing and kneading in my Kitchen Aid mixer and baked at 375° for 30 minutes. It makes 12 nice cinnamon rolls that fit just right in a Lasagna pan.

Raised Doughnuts or Coffee Cake
    The Pittsburgh Press – March 16, 1945

In a warm mixing bowl, place 1/2-cup all-purpose flour. Over it crumble 1 small cake compressed yeast. Make a hollow in the flour and pour into it 1/2-cup lukewarm milk and water mixed. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar and stir these ingredients until well blended. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. (I used 1 packet of regular dried yeast)

Cream 1/2 cup shortening (part butter), and gradually add 1/3-cup sugar. Add 1/2-teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 beaten eggs, 1-teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup water and milk mixed. Sift 4 cups all-purpose flour. Stir half of it into the shortening mixture and beat well. Add yeast mixture. Add remaining flour and knead well. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Roll dough 1/2-inch think, cut with floured doughnut cutter. Place on lightly floured board and let rise until doubled in bulk. Fri in deep fat, heated to 370°.
    (I left out the lemon rind and juice and subbed 1 teaspoon of fruit fresh.)

This is the same dough that is used for coffee cakes; instead of making it all into doughnuts, part may be made into coffee cake at the time of shaping the dough.

This is what I used for the filling.
    · 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    · 1/2 cup flour
    · 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    · 1/2 cup butter, cold
    Stir dry ingredients together and cut in butter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I think those are the most beautiful buns I have ever seen!!

3. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I think those are the most beautiful buns I have ever seen!!

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thanks...
    A friend asked me to rewrite the recipe so it would be easier to read so I did and here it is.

Raised Doughnuts or Coffee Cake
    The Pittsburgh Press – March 16, 1945

1/2-cup all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1/4-cup lukewarm milk
    1/4-cup water
    1 packet yeast
    Stir these ingredients until well blended. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.

1/4 cup shortening
    1/4-cup butter
    1/3-cup sugar
    1/2-teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 beaten eggs
    1-teaspoon vanilla
    1/4-cup water
    1/4-cup milk
    4 cups all-purpose flour-sifted-separated

Cream fats and sugar until fluffy, beat in eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Beat in salt, lemon rind, lemon juice, and vanilla. Then add 2 cup of flour, water, milk and the yeast mixture and beat for 4 minutes.

Change to dough hook, add the last 2 cups of flour and knead for 10 minutes on Kitchen Aid #3 speed.

Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.

Roll out as for cinnamon rolls, put filling in, roll up, cut into 12 pieces, place in pan and let rise for 35 minutes.

Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180°.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by