Raised leg scales

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Netherfieldmom, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Netherfieldmom

Netherfieldmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2007
    Our banty rooster has raised scales on his feet and always walks on his tip toes. No one else has any scale problems and this seems to have been going on with him for a long time. No changes. Isn't there some pest that does that? Why wouldn't anyone else have it? What can we try? His feathers look great, they all seem very healthy other than that. Thanks.

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Sounds like scaly leg mites. You can slather vasoline on his legs everyday until he starts showing signs of improvement. I use scarlet oil found at the feed mill or fleet farm. You can also soak his feet for about 10 minutes and use a toothbrush to clean out under his scales then apply the vasoline or scarlet oil. I think people have even used vicks vapor rub. I am always battling this with my feather footed breeds. It needs to be treated asap to avoid the loss of his toes.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] i agree with the post above scaly leg mites.

4. Look for the mites in the scales and at the top of the legs where the feathers are. They are very tiny. You can use Vet Rx immediately for a few days and then smoother them with the vasoline. You should go to your local feed store and get further treatments for this. This can turn into a fairly serious problem, especially in the winter months. A chickens leg should be nice and smooth almost like the skin on a snake. Some older hens get a condition that is no unlike rough, dried skin, but the scales should not protrude. A few of the big breeds like RIR and Orpingtons get some pretty big legs and sometimes thier scales are "disshuffled" for a lack of words. I am not sure if leg mites and regular chicken mites are anything like each other.

5. Netherfieldmom

Netherfieldmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2007
    Is Vet Rx something I can get at Tractor Supply? Thanks for the help--we'll get right on this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by