Raised Movable Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buffslat, Jan 22, 2012.

1. buffslat

buffslat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I want to make an 8x8 coop on skids that will be high enough off the ground for my hens to get under. I was originally thinking of two skids placed about two feet in from the outer edge and the bottom of the outside 2x6 framing for the floor about 12 inches above the ground. The hens would have to duck to get under but should have enough head room once under between the joist.
    Is this something that sounds like it could be done or should I put the skids on the outer edge and add one more to the middle?
    Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    The issue you are runnint into here is the fact that a coop this size will be quite heavy and hard to move. You might have to put it onto a trailer . I remember in the book Chicken coops , 45 building plans for dummies. There is atleast one or two examples of a larger movable coops. You might want to look into that book.

3. buffslat

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I have a tractor I was planning to use to move it with. I have thought of a trailer, but was trying to keep it more on the ground so to speak.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    how about those 8 in air caster tires you can get on EBAY? They are overall 10in high. You could screw those to the frame of the coop. You would have to check first though how much load they can carry and how heavy your coop would be. Maybe it would be a good idea to jack the coop up on bricks or whatever while stationary. It all depends on how often you move the coop.

5. buffslat

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    If I use three skids with 4x4 bolted on top like stilts then bolted to the floor joist with a 2x12 bolted down the length to tie it all together. Is this something that sounds like I could move it without any problems?

6. mikeypalone

mikeypalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    henry co.
    my solution to moving it would be a tongue and coupler,you can make from wood or metal,just make it to attach temporary,hook to a ball hitch,then take it off when done.I did this with an old motorcycle trailer.Built the house on top of it.When I leave the tongue on it they love to sit on it in the sun.I move mine with a riding mower.I welded stake pockets on the trailer then built the house sliding the whole thing into the stake pockets.

7. buffslat

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    Was trying to avoid using a trailer if at all possible. Just something else to have to buy and maintain. If the trailer gets a flat it isn't going to be easy to change.

8. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    We are building a coop right now, it is on skids im unsure of the dimensions of the skids my husband is the brains on that end. But to make it moveable in case we move. he got the anchors they use to hold the guy wires that hold the really big telephone poles steady, they are inserted through the base at an angle and bolted in. that way it can be hooked up and wenched on to a trailer if needed we have also hooked it to our truck and pulled it thru the yard into place. there are pictures in my albums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by