1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raised oodles of chicks before; but never a bantam..have questions..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momagain1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    We have this tiny li'l banty; not sure what breed of bantam it is..she's SUPER SUPER TINY....
    kids have named her thumbelina (we sure hope she's a SHE!)

Anyway; she's doing not much of anything...she IS in w/the other chicks all the same ages;b ut they are trampling her..so we seperated a few chicks into another brooder..we keep swapping the chicks out so they are all acclimated w/each other..so no issues there...

BUT she is just seriously just sitting around/laying around..she moves when they bump against her or push her as they are walking...not sure about bantys if this is normal cause they are so small or what...

so I took her and have her under a lamp by herself so she can get some rest...she ha slept the ENTIRE time...face down lol...her toes were cool to touch..so I thought she needed some warmth and rest...

ideas?hints? helpful advice? we've not raised a banty before....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    She doesn't look well. Banties behave like normal chicks but in miniature. I hatched one bandy with a bunch of full sizes and became paranoid she'd be trampled and raised her separate, but I honestly had her with me 24-7 for the first few weeks because I was paranoid to leave her alone (she's in my profile picture, an old english game bantam mix.) even though I raised her separate, my very large chick shamo roo is attached to her and protects her now so you can reintroduce chicks later one on one if you feel she will be ostracized.

I don't know what's wrong with your baby, but if I were you, i'd cuddle her and keep her very warm. Chicks respond well to being cuddled and it seems to give them will to survive when they aren't thriving. I actually have a special chick now I found who didn't look well at a feed store and with the extra love she's looking much better.

My avvy banty bleed a bit when she hatched and was very weak, so she slept a lot for the first few days. like I said, just keep her warm and safe from being trampled. Good luck.

3. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    bumping for night crowd..

I put vitamins in her water and gave her drink through a med. dropper...she drank some..perked up a tiny bit...
    back down again..I cannto stay up all night long and give her drinks ever 1/2hr..

it seems to me, that she isnt eating...I havent seen her eat at ALL...
    so I took some chick starter, mixed it w/warm water, made it thin and tried to spoon it to her...she seemed like she wanted
    to eat it, but she doesnt open her beak at ALL to eat..so when she tried to peck it at that time..her beak was closed the whole time

help! how do i teach her to eat???

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I am new to bantie raising too, got 4 straight run, lost two after a day. The one we had was as big as my thumb, could not believe how tiny it was. The other we lost was a cochrin frizzle. (sp)
    The other two banties are doing well & getting big (frizzle & buttercup), they are now 7 weeks old & will still hide under their chick mates (New Hampahire, Black Aust & Cuckoo Marans).
    Sounds like you are doing good, taking it out & giving it some quiet time, can you shift the heat lamp to keep that little one warm for a few hours while the other are running around?

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    If she will drink and just not eat, then you can water down some yogurt and dropper feed it to her. It will help get some nutrients into her without her having to eat.
    That being said, I have tried to save a few deformed/sick chicks and want to warn you. Do not get to emotionally invested in it. It is very hard to lose a chick after you have been dropper feeding it and holding it and taking care of it and so on. It gets much easier with time. (Ask me how I know.) But it's really tough to lose one you've invested all your time and energy into.

She may make it, and she may not. Chicks are really good at looking like they are getting better only to walk in and find them dying. It sounds like you are doing everything you can.

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    She didnt make it. She passed Sunday early evening.

7. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Aww. :( I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

8. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    thanks...I cried like a li'l girl that I am....in the middle of the stupid farm store..

9. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    I cry when I lose them too… don't feel bad about that… *internet hug* It's really hard, when they go, and so far it hasn't gotten easier for me at all. But at least she got the love you had for her, and so many chickies never get that. Good luck with all your other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by