Raised scales on two of my adult chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grampsjim, Feb 12, 2014.

1. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    Apologies if there is already a thread about this but I don't have time to search through more than a thousand threads for an answer.
    I've read that mites may cause this problem. I'm getting ready to go catch them and check for mites. I bought something at our farm supply for "scaly legs". None of my other chickens seem to be affected. The ones that seem different are my 2 australorps. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Spray the "Scaly leg" on the legs (or rub. Mine is a spray.) Massage the legs gently to help remove any loose scales. Do it until the symptoms clear up. Separate the ones that have it or the others will get it. It might not be a bad idea to treat the others while you are at it.

3. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    Thanks! I will do that as soon as I can catch them. I managed to catch the two who look "scaly" but I didn't see any
    mites or lice. I'm a nurse by profession so I know what to look for mostly. I'm also thinking that they weren't in the
    best of living conditions before we got them. We've had them a little over a week and the two I caught still feel very
    "thin". We are spoiling them rotten with regular layer feed, kitchen scraps, meal worms and today a shovel of our
    compost with live earth worms. They LOVED that!! I'm going to wait and let them get more used to me then check
    them again.
    By the way, I'm the other half of grampsjim and I'm the one who will be posting the most. NannyPatty

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    A great time to get your hands on them is when they've gone to roost. They're calm, quiet, and still. It dones mean you'll be glad to have your other half to hold a flashlight while you hold and turn an chicken around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by