Raisigg babies for the first time help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kherokee, Jan 9, 2015.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    I'm going to buy some 1-day old chicks from a hatchery (not sure which one yet) but my concerns are what kinds of feed are best, heat lamps, and thermometers.

I've read so many horror stories on bulbs so I'm thinking about the Ecoglow Chick Brooder, but i'm just going for about 5-6 chicks right now. (they'll all be pets.)

Ive also been looking at MannaPro chick feed starter, but im not sure if I should get medicated, or a different brand, or grit.

Also, I was thinking about a thermometer but the Ecoglow seems very reliable, but if I decide on a bulb and stand, which thermometers would be best?

Thanks so much! [​IMG] (im such a newbie, sorry for all the questions!)

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Go with the EcoGlow. You'll be soooo glad you did. It's SAFE and effective.

As for feed, that's really a personal choice. If you don't feed medicated chick feed, make sure you have CORID on hand in case they develop Cocci (you can treat their water with it prophylactically as well if you want with the preventative dose in the chart below). And yes, go ahead and get chick grit, because you KNOW you're going to be tempted into giving them treats and they'll need the grit to digest those.

[​IMG]

3. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    @HighStreetCoop So if I were to feed medicated MannaPro chick feed, I wouldnt need Corid?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Questions are great - don't apologize at all!

It's really going to be a matter of trying things out to find what works best for you and your birds. I, for example, don't even use a thermometer - I use a brooder that is large enough to allow me to have a "warm" zone and a "cool" zone and then I use the behavior of the chicks to dictate adjusting the temperature (for light sourced heat this means moving the light closer/farther from the floor of the brooder to move the temperature up or down) - if the chicks are all huddled right under the heat they are too cold, I they are hiding from the heat by crowding as far from it as possible they are too hot - if your chicks are scattered around the brooder and not peeping their heads off they are just right. I put my feed/water station(s) in the cool zones of the brooder area. Of course, my preferred method for raising chicks is with a good broody hen because that means I don't have to worry about ANY of this since she does all the worry and work for me [​IMG]

Feed is another area where it is a matter of choice and will depend on what is readily available to you and whether you want to try to subscribe to some of the more specific feed programs such as non-GMO, organic, etc. Ultimately, what is "best" is what is available, affordable for you and which your birds will consume. "Best" is a matter of what your specific goals, etc are. *I* don't use medicated feed because I use a non-medicated "flock raiser" for all the birds in my mixed (age, gender, etc) flock because that is most convenient for me to not have to be trying to feed one group a feed that is different than I am feeding another. If you ask 10 chicken people what food is best you'll get 11 different answers, lol, because everyone has their personal favored feed and their own reasons for that being their favorite.

Your chicks will need a source of grit (either by you purchasing and offering or from what is available to them in their environment) if/when you start offering any feed other than commercial poultry feed (starter, grower, layer). The commercial feeds are water soluble and do not require the use of grit to aid in digestion. Once you start introducing other foods, though, the grit is a key part in healthy digestion of those foods.

1 person likes this.
  5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Probably not. I've never used medicated feed, but that's supposed to be the general idea. It's supposed to prevent them getting cocci while they develop their own immunity.

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Medicated feed is best,for me.
    Also,antibiotics/probiotics in their water is helpful.

Themeds keep diseases from spreading etc.My birds never got sick as long as I kept them on meds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by