Raisiing Quail with Chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by City Cajun, Aug 9, 2011.

1. City Cajun

City Cajun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Has anyone ever raised chickens and quail in the same area and is it possible? I guess another important question is whether or not quail lay eggs like chickens do. I like quail eggs and would like to raise some for the eggs if it's possible. I have eight chickens in a six foot high pen that I think I could easily add a raised cage area for the quail. What do you think?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I have done it before, but the chick lived with the quails its whole life so it was "used" to them LOL. Not so sure abuot grown birds though [​IMG]

eta pics of the "family"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    This is a very flame-able topic... Has likely caused more warnings and points issued than any other topic I know of. And it comes up once a week it seems. In my humble opinion, I personally would put my quail in a rabbit hutch type structure, outside and away from the chickens. Some say you'll be fine, they have mixed the 2 for ever. Some will say they will die for sure from a syphilis monkey pox, type bird clap, that is carried by chickens. I think the truth will land some where in the middle. Your quail CAN catch things your chickens CAN carry. Its evil and deadly for quail. But if you have a closed flock and your birds are'nt carriers, you may well be fine. Please do a search for this topic. Theres LOADS of threads on this, make up your own mind... Either way you'll love the quail and good luck. Bill

1 person likes this.
  4. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    It's possible, but not at all recommended to keep quail with chickens. I'll say that 90% of people on here have tried and failed and only about 10% have succeeded (estimates, don't take them seriously [​IMG] ). Heres a pretty good thread about why https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

But for your question, If they lay eggs, then yes they do lay eggs. Like chickens (i think [​IMG] ) they have specified natural laying periods or if you give them 14 hours of light all year, then they will lay all year just not lay as long. They'll lay an egg a day, BTW. haha I don't know if you've looked at breeds much, but coturnix are highly recommended as they're great for beginners (calm-for quail, not to aggressive), lay many eggs and don't need as much space as some others. But i suggest you wait for the more experienced people to come on, as I'm still considered a newbie [​IMG] .

Edited to add: oops Bill (FATDADDY) must have posted as I was typing. Haha

5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Fatdaddy , I am wearin a flak jacket this should help with the shrapnel [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NOT ON THIS 1 DERRICK [​IMG]

7. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:NOT ON THIS 1 DERRICK [​IMG]

Daren hehehehehehee [​IMG]