Raisin Rooster: from chick to first crow

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by legacyln, May 14, 2008.

1. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    My favorite chicken, a rooster named Raison, produced his first pathetic, strangled crow yesterday!

After many weeks of watching, wondering and BYCing, I figured out out of 13 Dominique chicks I had 7 cockerels to 4 pullets-- and I only intended to keep hens and not have a roo! Found someone to take the extras, but decided, well, why not keep just this one-- who was more femininie looking than the other roos but especially more sweet than even the hens. He loves raisins, hence the name.

So, yesterday the gang were 11 weeks old, as the kids and I were weeding in the garden, Raisin ran around the yard and made such bizarre sounds, my 2 year old asked "What wrong with rooster?" Then it dawned on me-- hes's trying to crow! After I called a few people, like my dad and best friend, who were not too excited, I decided to share the news with people who'd actualyy care-- BYC!

3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

With his brothers
    [​IMG]

Hangin' with one of his women (Rose, Buff Orp) under their facvorite azalea
    [​IMG]

First crow attempts
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That's neat, how old is he?

3. legacyln

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    11 weeks, seems early but I like to say my kids are advanced so maybe my rooster is too-- ha!

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    He's Beautiful! Was he proud of himself when he crowed? [​IMG]

5. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Thats a rooster? Wow I am really bad at this.

6. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Nichole77-
    I understand what you are saying, and it doesn't look like he has a large comb or wattles. But if you consider his age, and look at the pic. of him with Rose, the Orp., you can tell he has a decent size comb, and really an impressive set of wattles for his age. I'm new to this, too, and I wouldn't have been able to tell if not for the other girl to compare him to.

7. legacyln

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Are you used to seeing a rose comb? That makes a difference, the rose comb is shorter and stubbier in general, though I will say his was alwasy smaller than all the other boys his age. I'm sure he had comb size envy-- I had to keep him and get rid of the others so he wouldn't be checking them out in the locker room and feel inferior! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    LOL, okay that's too funny. [​IMG]

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My roo is also 11 weeks and not much distinguishes him from the girls for the exeption of his bright red comb and waddle (and I mean bright red) and his growing tail feathers. He has yet to crow and in the past week seems to have suddenly become much larger than the females. He is a SLW and I have 2 other SLW pullets, one of which has a pinking comb; but in comparison to her and all my other pullets his comb & waddles may be only a bit bigger, but the color is by far more saturated; much like Raisins.

10. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I had a chick crow at 3 days. It was the tiniest crow ever.
    I thought I was seeing things...

He jumped atop of the stuffed bear, stretched his neck, and let it out! Then he paused....and did it again!

I tried to catch it on video...but he hasnt reproduced since, at least not in front of me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by