Raising 1 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunlitmoonlight, Apr 28, 2011.

1. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Our twin silkies had a dead hatch of 15 eggs 3 days ago [​IMG] 1 day later we got two 1 week old silkie chicks, but the twin silkies are rejecting them. Unless I am not doing join up correctly? When we got home with the chicks at around 2 in the affternoon, we put the chicks in the run with the others (4 hens (the twin silkies and 2 bantam hens, and a pekin rooster). The rooster seemed the only one to be interested but after a while he started gently pecking at them. The hens were not interested. When the flock went into the house at around 6 in the evening, we placed the twin silkies in the breeding section of the house and placed the chicks in a little box in with the twins. the twins puffed up and started pecking at the chicks. When the flock had settled in for the night, we tried to place the chicks under the twin silkies, but when wee weent near to the twins, they would puff up and peck us. So the chicks ended up spending the night on my husbands chest, eating, drinking and sleeping whilst he was watching tele. They spent the night in the brooder box, eating, drinking and had a good night. Any advise on how to get the hens to accept the chicks? I feel real bad as I took the chicks away from a natural environment to a brooder box [​IMG] Any advice would be greatly appreciated. With thanks

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Are the broody hens still on the nests? If they were out in the run with the other hens and rooster they probably aren't broody anymore and won't accept the chicks. [​IMG]

If they are still on the nest you need to try slipping the chicks under at night and hope they will accept them then. If they aren't on the nest at night don't try to put the chicks with them.

Most likely you are going to have to raise them in a brooder as it sounds like your hens are no longer broody.

3. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for reply. They are not on the nest any longer, so I gather they are no longer broody. I have the chicks now in a brooder box and are doing great. Could I put the chicks and one of the other hens in a private small run to see if they will bond or do I have to wait until a hen gets broody before I can try and join them up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by