raising 100 cockerels

crowdad

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
We are raising meat birds for the first time and went with a mostly cockerel batch of surplus chicks. Plan on separating them into 2 brooders and then into 2 tractors. My questions are what size should I make the tractors ?(plan to move them on a daily basis) and at what age should we be planning on processing them?
Also, at what age should we expect there to be problems among them? There will be hens free ranging around there pens. Any other advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

We will be packing our freezer and selling/giving the rest away,FYI.

TY,
Crow

Wow that is alot of roosters.!!!!!!! I have only one and a 1/4 roosters in my flock. Hopefully someone will give you some advise. Good Luck and welcome.

Two or three 10x10 pens should be sufficient. I would start with two (moving them in at 3 weeks), then transfer to 3 if you see crowding issues. We are processing 30 at 8 weeks of age this coming Saturday and they are fine in an 8x8 tractor.

Problems can occur all along the way, and most issues are overblown. 3rd batch of birds for me, total of 40, and I've lost 1. It just plain died at about 4 weeks. Keep them warm, dry, fed watered and don't let them overheat.

I would really suggest trying a starter batch before you go whole hog. Try 5 or 10, then 3 of 4 weeks later get your big batch. They are different than layers, but it isn't rocket science. I went 4, then 6, then 25 and someone gave me 5 birds they raised in a class project. This fall I'll try a batch of 25-50, and do the same in spring.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
TY for the quick responses! 10x10 was what I had in mind I should have clarified by problems I was referring to the roosters starting to fight to establish dominance. I would do a smaller batch for our first, but we have done several rounds of pullets in the past and I was going to order a 50 bird Fryer combo for $50 then stumbled across the same deal only 100 birds for $35.

Would like to hear of other experiences with these type of bargain/cockerel fryer selections. General weight averages would be a big help.

I haven't had any agression issues with these birds at all, and since they don't reach sexual maturity until after 100 days of age or so, I don't know see that as being a pressing concern. Glad to know you have had some experience, that should make is easier.

Avg weights on roosters at 8 weeks for me is 6.5lbs dressed. My current batch looks to be smaller, maybe by a pound.

Where on earth did you find that deal? I bought mine at the feed store for $1.79 each.

Quote:
These numbers are for the CX, not the dual purpose birds that you have. You will probably need to take them to 20 weeks or more depending on the size that you want, and the breeds that you get.

Hopefully someone else that was done this will chime in soon.

We are getting our birds from Mt. Healthy Hatchery they also offer 200 and 300 bird specials.

Quote:
These numbers are for the CX, not the dual purpose birds that you have. You will probably need to take them to 20 weeks or more depending on the size that you want, and the breeds that you get.

Hopefully someone else that was done this will chime in soon.

Good catch! Didn't notice they weren't CX.

Back
Top Bottom