Raising a baby rooster along side a grown rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Let's say I bought 20 more chickens and one of them turned out to be a male. I already have a 4 month old rooster right now, he's never been aggressive with me and very seldom does he pick on the hens. What I'm trying to ask is, will the older rooster accept the new rooster as long as I raise him from birth? Like... I've heard introducing a grown rooster to another can be awful but if he's introduced and raised from a chick will they get along as adult chickens? I hope that makes sense... Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ideally you don't want to be mixing different age chicks together until they are same size (about 16 weeks), and I would be afraid that the young roo would be killed by the older one until he is big enough to defend himself. When merging 2 groups of chicks it is easier done with gradually introducing them through a fence over a couple of weeks, then watching them closely for a few days when they are together as a group. There are many threads on BYC on integrating chickens.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I introduce young males to full adult males frequently. The older males help get the chicks to move up to roost quicker. My adult male games are easy on chicks with only occasional pecking when operation in a chicken tractor. The younger (in your case 4 month old) rooster which best defined as cockerol that is feeling the testosterone surge but not likely feeling the progesterone yet. The former helps with social climbing while the latter makes for gentler interactions directed at hens and juveniles. When your rooster gets a little older, his is likely to get interested in acquiring a harem. He will take in juveniles and boot out males as they mature. My game roosters seem unable to distinguish male from female juveniles so if cockerol safe with females, then male should be OK as well.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've raised cockerels along with adult roos, chicks hatched by a broody. They did fine. The youngsters learn to stay out of the adult roo's way very early on. My one roo would feed the chicks, both pullet and cockerel chicks.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My game roosters as general rule are model parents. Juveniles, once weaned, actually spend more time in close proximity to their fathers than their mothers. The dominiques are not as consistent but my experience with them is much less. California grey roosters best stick to dead beat dads as they are hard on bitties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by