Raising a chick by itself

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunshine ducky, Jan 30, 2017.

1. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hey everyone, this spring I pre ordered a chick; but just one. I wanted to see if it will be more tame if raised by itself; but now I'm thinking that I should've ordered at least one more. What do you guys think? Thanks.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is it your intent to raise it alone initially to create the tameness you seek and then integrate it into a flock or is it your intent to maintain a single bird for the long-term? If the latter, where is your bird going to live - will it be living as a "house chicken" or are you wanting to transition it to a living arrangement outside? Are you home most of the time or do you work/attend school/have obligations that regularly take you out for considerable portions of the day?
    Unless your ultimate goal is a house chicken and you are able to dedicate most of your waking hours to being the "flock mate" of this bird, I would suggest obtaining two more chicks so that you have at least a total of three. You can bond with and tame the three just as easily as you can one, *if* something happens to one chick you aren't suddenly left with a lone bird and you avoid the issues that come with raising a single chick. It isn't isolation that creates a tame bird, it is raising a bird that is in the best mental state to build a healthy bond that does.

4 people like this.
  3. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I definitely agree. I feel that raising one chick could cause some problems in the long run because chicks are very social animals and one chick could become very bored and lonely. This could lead to feather picking, egg eating, and many other unwanted problems.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3! Chickens are flock animals and need to live with other chickens. Raising one in solitary is cruel to the bird and likely to cause abnormal behavior, and a bird who will be unable to reintegrate into a flock later. Get at least three chicks, or none. Mary

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What is the source for this chick? Feed store? Private breeder? Mail order from a hatchery?

Do you presently have other chickens?

Where is this baby chick going to live once it's grown?

Do you have other pets? What are they? Do you expect these animals to interact with the single chicken?

Give us more information so that we can have a more meaningful discussion, please.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out the "people with house chickens," thread in case that is what you are aiming for. Even then the chick would be happy to have a buddy. Otherwise you are the flock/ buddy. The chick will bond with you and want to be with you ALL the time. Two chicks in the house will entertain each other and not be so needy.

7. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm getting this chick from my local feed store. Besides my experiment of making it tame, Another reason I'm getting just one chick is that there is only one hen Available at that time because everyone preordered the majority of the hens. So now there are only were Roos available and having one is enough for me! And I cant wait for more hens to come in because three weeks from when I'm supposed to pick up the chick, more hens will be coming. And my chick will be too old to hang out with day old chicks, you see what I mean? My chick is supposed to live in a small chicken tractor and I have many other pets like my dogs,rabbit and my flock of hens but I wouldn't let her interact with them. Thanks again everybody! And yes I'm not going to try to introduce her to my new flock....it won't end up Well :lol:

8. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    I am curious. What are you going to do? Keep her as a house chicken? (LOL they can be sweet but the poop factor is something to behold). Or maybe introduce her to the flock when you introduce others (you know like a little gang of newcomers all figuring out their place in the new home)?

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Let's call a female baby chicken a pullet, shall we? A hen is a female chicken that has reached maturity. It can get confusing in a discussion when you don't use the appropriate terms.

I finally was able to determine you do have an adult flock, so let's discuss that. This new pullet will eventually be a member of the flock you now have. You need to consider how you will integrate the new pullet. If you wait until she's nearly full grown, it will be a very big adjustment, not only for her but for the adult flock. They will consider her a stranger and will likely be quite rough on her.

On the other hand, if you raise her alongside the adult hens, they will consider her a member of the flock from the beginning since she will be so tiny and non-threatening. You will need to rig up a safe pen for the chick with a heat source and food and water. It's important for the first two weeks that the baby chick be protected from the big girls.

During this time, your new pullet will be comforted by being in the midst of the adults, and she won't feel lonely as she would if you raised her in the house away from the others. She will also understand she's a chicken and part of a chicken flock, not one of the humans in the house. She can be no less tame growing up near the other chickens as long as you spend quality time with her each day and handle her in a non-threatening manner.

The baby chick will also be learning the different temperaments of the other chickens so when the time comes to mingle with them, she will know who may be a danger and whom she can trust. It makes integration much easier. Many of us brood chicks in this manner and by age two weeks, the chicks are ready to mingle safely with the flock when we open small portals from their safe pen into the rest of the run. Read this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...rooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors

Another option would be to cancel your order of the single pullet and order three chicks from a later hatch. That way all the chicks will be the same age and life will not be as complicated.

As for your experiment raising a single chick because you expect it to be tamer because it will only be focusing on you and not other chicks, I really don't think it will make any difference and it would only be harder on the single chick to be raised this way.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by