Raising a chicken as a duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taj_MaChicken, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    I posted earlier about the chickie and duckling we took in from a friend that got in over their heads. Then we got two other ducklings about the same age for companionship.

They're currently in quarantine from the rest of our flock, but all together. The chick is completely codependent on the duck. When we put the ducks in the bathtub, she flips out. If she can't see the duck, she screams. If we do manage to get her away from the duck, she cries if we aren't holding her.

I'm afraid when we do try to integrate them she will stick with the ducks. Which is fine, because she'll need some protection from the bigger girls.

Has anyone had any luck raising a chicken as a duck?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Krautshumom

Krautshumom Songster

Mar 7, 2011
    I think the only concern is that if drakes attempt to mate with a hen they can inadvertently kill her due to the differences in anatomy.

Miss Lydia and Taj_MaChicken like this.
  3. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    I've read that. I'm going to have them share them same run eventually, but have separate housing. More of the chicken not roosting and sleeping with the ducks type of deal.

Krautshumom likes this.
  4. Krautshumom

Krautshumom Songster

Mar 7, 2011
    I’ve had ducks and chickens, but never at the same time :) Surely someone else knows more.

5. ChickenTender516

ChickenTender516 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2019
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    I'm in the same boat. I got 2 silkie chicks and 2 pekins and just planned on brooding them together for about a week and then separately from that point on. Well... the 4 of them are so bonded it's crazy!! Other than obsessively having to keep the brooder clean and dry it's worked out fairly well. They are all in the big coop now with the older chicks and the ducks are basically the little chicks body guards. I do have to be careful with the little pool because the chicks try to jump in and swim from time to time. I've been very lucky with them all coexisting at this point. My issue now is keeping the ducks on brewers yeast... I had a separate feeder for them but now they are eating out of the other feeder so I have to add brewers yeast to that one, too.

Taj_MaChicken and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Can't the chickens have brewer's yeast? I would worry most about the chickens following the ducks into water and drowning, yes. Good luck with all this!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. ChickenTender516

ChickenTender516 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2019
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    They can... but having 16 chicks and two ducks make for lots of brewers yeast!! lol The water tub is only filled with supervision by adults so I'm hoping we can just stay on top of it

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Thanks for clarifying. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: