1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

raising a few ducks with a brood of chicks, my first ducks, a couple ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cutlass1972, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I ordered 3 ducks along with my chick order just to give them a try. Do I need to provide a little pool of some sort for them in the brooder? If that is the case I am going to have to brood them separate from my chicks as I think the chicks will drown. I was hoping to brood them all together as they are all going to be sharing the yard together at some point.

Is it sufficient to just let them play in a tub of water for a little while every day outside of the brooder?

Just a note, I do have a pond in my front yard so they will have a place to swim and play when they get bigger, I am just worried about their stay in the brooder until then.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:That will be good enough while they are young...just supervise them...you can brood them with chicks but they both should eat different feed and the ducks will make it soo much more messy because when they drink, unlike chicks, they get it everywhere....up to you.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    cool user name, I had a 72 Cutlass!

4. cutlass1972

May 26, 2009
    I have both the ducklings, Guinea Keets, and Chicks all eating flock raiser. According to the package I think this should be OK. I have noticed the ducks are messy drinkers, and they eat a LOT more than the chicks.

I had a 72 Cutlass S holiday coupe. I wish I had it back now! We have all had at least one like that.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The ducklings will be messier- but no reason you cant brood them together, but it is important that the ducklings have access to extra water each day so they can clean their faces bills and nostrils. So the idea of giving them a little tub outside the brooder each day is good.
    Im sure you will find raising the ducks lots of fun and quite a differnt experience in some ways to raising chicks. They all have such cute little ways about them- but watching ducklings swimming is wonderful.
    Good luck with all your new arrivals.[​IMG]

6. cutlass1972

May 26, 2009
    Yeah, so far I have enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would. I only got them to appeaze the G/F, but after watchign them and playing with them for a couple of days they are particular little critters and have lots of personality.

7. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    As long as the water container is deep enough for the ducklings to dip their entire bill to clear out their nostrils, that's all the water they need for now. They need water that deep available to them at all times. While they will enjoy baths, many people (including myself) do not let them swim until they are a little older. Young ducklings aren't very waterproof and can drown with little warning. If you letthem swim, keep it shallow and watch them at all times. If a duckling looks like it's sinking, take it out and dry it off. Don't leave them wet when they are still young or they may get chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by