Raising a lone imprinted chick

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
hi everyone, at the start of the year i ordered 10 eggs which i got an extra 1. the first 2 days one of the egg started oozing so i cleaned the incubator again before the rest go in. Sadly, from all the eggs only 1 hatched (cochin/brahma) chick. guessing its cochin but not sure cause they mixed the eggs. The chick started pipping at 8 and hatched in the middle of the night. I was the first thing the chick saw after hatching so im guessing he is imprinted on me. I am unable to leave the chick alone without it chirping at the top of its lungs. good thing i can't really go anywhere since its quarantine so i spend 24/7 with the chick. at night the chick sleeps in a tub with a light on it beside the bed. i tried putting the chick in the next room but he/she would just chirp so loud that i can hear it from the next room. I spend most of my day in front of the computer so the chick usually sits on my lap watching whatever im doing and i usually wear a hoodie where the chick can go in the pockets if he/she wants to go sleep. any tips on how to care for the chick? im scared im doing something wrong. How often do you recommend i wake the chick up and make her/him eat and drink? cause currently the chick wont even try to leave the pocket unless i take em out. Also, is there a way to differentiate a 2 day old cochin from a brahma chick? (i ordered 5 brahma and 5 bantam cochins and is labled BC but the egg this one hatched out from is as big as the brahma eggs. here are some pics.
1621520.jpg

1621526.jpg
1621522.jpg

When I had a singleton, it really helped to have a mirror and a stuffed animal inside the brooder with it.
It's really cute, best of luck!
You can pic up toys at the dollar store that will move or sway if a light is on it. They like movement.
ill try to look for those. im trying my best to be there 24/7 to reduce stress but i think those will be lots of help. thanks

Also, is there a way to differentiate a 2 day old cochin from a brahma chick? (i ordered 5 brahma and 5 bantam cochins and is labled BC but the egg this one hatched out from is as big as the brahma eggs. here are some pics.
Comb type is hard to see at this size, but Cochins have single combs and Brahmas have pea combs.

There are three common colors of Brahmas: Light, Dark, and Buff. Chicks for any of those Brahma colors tend to have a lot of gray or black on them. So unless the breeder was raising a rare color of Brahmas, your chick is not a Brahma.

I think the chick color is right for a Buff Cochin, or possibly a White Cochin.

(Buff Cochins and Buff Brahmas are not colored the same as each other, and the chicks are not colored the same either. But it's confusing because they are both called "Buff.")

I agree that you should pick up a few more chicks - they are flock animals and really need the companionship for healthy development. They learn how to be part of a group, how pecking orders work, how to eat, drink, etc.
We still have some groups of chicks each spring that lightly imprint on my bf since he takes care of them during the day, but they rely more on each other as they mature and form bonds.
I'd try to get a few more chicks...

Back
Top Bottom