raising a meat bird as a pet?

hens and chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
has anyone ever tried raising a meat bird as a pet? Our kids hatched some eggs at preschool and got attached to the chicks, which we have just learned are "broilers." Can they be raised to lay eggs and live beyond the typical butchering age?

My son has a cornish x named BoBo. He may live a year...if a miracle happens. We limit his food and take him on daily walks. They grow so fast that their legs collapse from the weight or they have heart attacks. He is the sweetest out of all our babies. Just do the best you can and give them the best life you can with lots of hugs and kisses. I recommend saving them...it is a bit of a chore but they are worth it. Mice dont live long and many people hhave them as pets. I am also supplimenting him with calcium to keep his legs strong and trying to make himget up and move. They just like to lay there. He also had to have a bath cause he's too fat to clean himself very well and since he spends most of his time laying down his belly gets ookie.

I am by no means an expert, Assuming they are white rocks -which are common for meat birds-- have heart problems and are prone to broken legs if left to grow too big. these birds have been bred to grow fast, not produce eggs. they are not really meant to live past butcher age, and their quality of life would be bad. Not to mention --these birds basically live to eat and poop. not much personality.

I would say--get a few egg layers. These are great fiendly birds who give you breakfast every morning. Your kids will love these so much more!!!!

I disagree from experience. Read my earlier post. Its a sensitive subject for me. I love poor Bobo. Its not his fault that the evil corporate machine made him a genetic mutant that gets too fat for his body. Morbidly obese people can live a descent life...no not as good as someone that's in shape and they'll die young from heart attacks too...no one euthanizes them. There are several people on here who have pet rescued "broilers". Limit feed. Exercize. Give lots of hugs. Okay = am stepping down from the soap box...sorry...just really upset of the fate of my toddler's pet. Oh yeah "Hooligan" has or had some and gave me some good advice.

Last edited:
No offense meant, Annie--just my opinion. I'm sure you could do it--I just question the reasons why and the quality of life for the bird. Like i said--no offense meant...

Sorry. I am just sensitive on the subject. My son picked a baby and i thought...no big deal...we arent gonna eat it. Then a week later i find out the deal. it is just so heartbreaking because he loves that chicken. i just wish the people at the feed store were educated enough not to sell them to people who were getting pet chickens.

Yeah, some feed stores don't tell people...

It's nice to see the ones I go to ask new customers: "You know this is a meat bird meant for butcher at 8 weeks right?" And will turn them the right direction for a layer.

As for can you keep it, yes, will it's quality of live be #1, not always. I personally would not do it.

This may be out of the question, but it reminds me of a family story. My dad's family owned an old time grocery store on "Polish Hill" in Pittsburgh, so butchering and eating fowl was a part of life (as it was for many people back then). One day my Uncle Mark (probably around 6 or 7 at the time) was given a duck as a pet. That duck followed him around for months (as ducks will do). One day the duck disappeared. He was told that the duck was taken to a farm. He was sad for awhile, but got over it quickly. At his age he never made the connection between the ducks disappearance and the family supper of "czernina" (duck blood soup). 40 years later he still believes that duck was taken to a farm, even though his nephew and even children now know the real story. When he mentioned that duck at family get togethers everyone simply listens attentively and nods.

Quote:
You can try to keep them alive on a diet. I whouldn't since they are bred for growing fast which will make them have health problems. If you can get them to live to laying age, they want be as good layers as other chickens. If you want chickens for eggs it whould be best to get a laying breed.

Good luck

When my 2 yr old and I went to the store the "broilers" were what he picked too. The little cute yellow fuzzy "broilers". Luckly the lady at the feed store warned me that they would get too fat to survive.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom