Raising a mixed flock with a rooster

sagehound

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Powell Butte, Oregon
I want to raise a mixed flock of hens (approx 16-18 to start) and want to add a rooster to the mix so I can raise my own chickens. Is that even possible? Since the rooster would be from one breed and I will have multiple breeds of chickens. Has anyone done that? If so what do you recommend.

I like the idea of having a rooster to not only fertilize eggs (so I can keep a closed flock) but also as protection.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!
First time chicken owner :)

Roosters are indiscriminate 'lovers' they will mate hens of any breed. One rooster to 18 hens may be a bit of a stretch, but he may cover them all.

You will want to set goals as to what you want to achieve: egg production, meat birds, dual purpose. Then start with birds that have your desired characteristics. Any offspring should suit your needs. With that many hens and given adequate space two raised together might coexist in relative peace.

You will want to set goals as to what you want to achieve: egg production, meat birds, dual purpose. Then start with birds that have your desired characteristics. Any offspring should suit your needs. With that many hens and given adequate space two raised together might coexist in relative peace.
Ok. At this point my main purpose is egg production (colorful), pretty birds :))) and calm dispositions. I have selected 9 different breeds that meet my needs. I my coop and run will be big enough to give everyone plenty of room. I am in the process of designing my coop so I can get my chickens in the spring. I am probably overthinking this. :)

Thank you!!!

You are not overthinking a thing. Study the forums, ask questions, plan, and you will establish a successful flock. Good luck.

You are not overthinking a thing. Study the forums, ask questions, plan, and you will establish a successful flock. Good luck.
Thank you! I am definitely doing a lot of studying and I just want to make sure I am not missing something. I want happy healthy chickens and this is a great place to ask my questions. I appreciate your time! :)

To chickens, a chicken is a chicken. They don't have a clue what a breed is. Breed is totally a manmade thing. If your question is whether or not a rooster will mate hens of different breeds, the answer is absolutely yes. Will they mate mixed breed hens, absolutely yes. If you have two different roosters of different breeds will they mate only with hens of their breed, not at all. They don't know what breed is.

My suggestion is to look at all your goals when deciding which rooster to get. I'm totally happy with mixed breeds. To some people them being purebred is important. That's your personal decision.

Some of us are of the opinion that a rooster doesn't add any real protection. Others think it is essential. Some people have a flock of nothing but hens that free range and are perfectly happy, they don't want a rooster around. Others would not dream of having a flock without a rooster. It's personal opinion, do what you want in this regard. But for fertile eggs, you have to have a rooster.

Can you have more than one rooster? Maybe. Some of that depends on how much room you have (the more the better) and some depends on the personality of the individual roosters. If you have more than one rooster they will determine which is boss. Sometimes that means a fight to the death but usually they reach an accommodation. They will often each claim a certain territory (this is one reason why more room is better) and each gets his own harem. You basically have two separate flocks. And those flocks will not be split by breed but more on the individual personalities of the chickens. And you might get a group of hens that doesn't hang with any rooster. And you may find that a hen in one harem is fertilized by the other rooster. They can be quite sneaky about that.

You don't get guarantees with any living animals and behaviors, chickens or anything else. There are too many variables in individual personalities and the conditions they are kept for anyone to tell you what will happen. Many people keep multiple roosters and don't have any problems at all. Some people have problems. I don't know which category you will fall in. There is only one way to find out.

There is no set number of how many hens a rooster can keep fertile. Some roosters keep more than 20 hens fertile, some can manage no more than a few. Young active roosters are usually better able to handle a lot of hens.

Yes you probably are overthinking it a bit but that's better than not thinking at all. I strongly encourage you to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can't help you with that. In general, a red or buff rooster will be better if you want to have a multicolored flock. Black or white roosters tend to have black or white chicks. Red or buff is more likely to let the colors of the hens show through in the chicks. I like buff myself, it can do weird things to other colors but red is even more neutral.

Roosters contribute as much (and in one certain gene) maybe even more than the hen toward egg shell color. If you get a rooster from a breed that lays blue or green eggs your pullets will all lay blue or green eggs, at least in the first generation. They may be different shades of green but you might want to approach a variety of egg color more through your choice of hens unless you want all blue or greed eggs.

Welcome! I think it's an excellent idea to start with birds of several breeds! Use Henderson's breed chart, and other sources, like the hatchery catalogs, to pick breed types that look interesting, and go for it.
Over the years I've had many birds of many breeds; it's fun! Some that looked great 'on paper' weren't so great here, and some that looked marginal have become favorites.
A mixed flock of hens will likely molt at different times, so it's more likely that there will be eggs most of the time. Right now my Easter Eggers are molting, so no green eggs for a while. Other birds are filling in for them.
Having a variety of egg colors won't maximize egg production, because those birds aren't going to lay seven eggs per week, but again, it's more interesting.
I've always had roosters, BUT as a new chicken owner, it's low priority. Manage your flock the first year, and add some cockerels the second year. you will be more comfortable, and your hens will help to raise them up right!
Mary

What you're planning is totally feasible. I have a little mixed flock everybody's different but the rooster couldn't care less. The rooster does kind of provide protection in the form of alarm calls and I have seen him chase cats and "stomp dance " at hawks in trees. Since you are new i would stick to one rooster to avoid drama.:)

Back
Top Bottom