Raising a mixed flock

Jillian12

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Visalia, California
Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a city girl, but have always been country at heart. Recently moved to a place where I can have chickens, so I purchased 5 tolbunt polish chicks, 2 nankin bantams, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 silkies. I also have a cat and dog....oh and 2 year old and 6 month old boys!

I've been navigating through this site and gaining a lot of valuable information about raising chickens, so thank you everybody. I look forward to gaining more knowledge about raising chickens. They are addicting!
D.gif

Any tips on raising a mixed flock?

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, Jillian 12, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Not sure what tips I have. If the chicks are raised together they usually just grow up together and there are no problems. I have 20 chickens at the moment comprised of 13 different breeds - they get along great. Good luck to you!

Jillian12

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Visalia, California
Thank you Mr MKK Farms and redsoxs. Good to hear that mixed breeds can get along. I just don't want to have cross-breeds if I ever decide to hatch eggs. There is so much to learn!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
welcome-byc.gif
If you never want to have mixed breeds - you need to have breeding pens - for instance a pen with 1 silky rooster and maybe 2 or 3 silky hens .you would want to have it made so they cannot have drop in visits from some other rooster. If you don't intend to hatch eggs for a long period of time - you could let all your breeds be together. Then if you decide to have them in breeding pens - don't use eggs for hatching for about 3 weeks - so any contribution from other roosters won't end up as chicks.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
No, I wouldn't raise anything to eat. I have no argument with people that do. It's just not for me. Actually the 'drumstick' part came about because everyone seemed to be "chicken lady " and various versions of it. All I could come up with was drumstick because that's my favorite part.

Top Bottom