Raising a Silkie Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by creative14215, Dec 2, 2012.

1. creative14215

creative14215 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    So...last week we discovered, with the help of many on here that our beloved Silkie Onyx is a roo. We also have a Slkie that we assume is a pullet. We thought we had 2 pullets. We're now wondering if we should keep the roo. The farmer we got them from said she would take them back if they were roos. We also have 4 RRs-laying, a partridge rock and a white one we have yet to identify that are about 4 months old.

The silkies are separated. We're looking for some advice on raising the roo. How difficult is it? Could we get some advice on raising him? Any disadvantages to keeping him. He's very gentle and sweet so we want to keep him but aren't sure of the obstacles we may face in keeping him. We have separated them from the rest of the flock but wonder if it would be safe to put him in with the rest since he's a roo.

We would appreciate any advice.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I don't find it too difficult at all, in fact I enjoy a good rooster watching over the hens. I would not pick him up much. In my experience the roosters I come into contact with very little when young have always turned out to be the gentler ones.
    I do not have any silkies so I am not sure if they are a naturally milder bird.

3. DuckyLou

DuckyLou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    East Texas
    I have a silkie cross rooster with all my hens(2 production reds, 2 silkies, 2 black copper marans, and a sex link) I just love him! He is so much fun to watch! We held him all the time when he was little and while he is not super friendly anymore he has yet to attack any of us. He does chase down the girls for *ahem* fertilization reasons, which can be a little disturbing to see AND if you have children it surely opens the way for down to earth discussions!

Do you live out in the country where his crowing wouldn't disturb neighbors? That would be my concern... Other than that give it a try! There's always other options (chicken n dumplins) if it doesn't work out!

4. creative14215

creative14215 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I'm ready for the whole fertilization process and the possibility of more cute little silkies crossed or otherwise!!! And as far as the chicken and dumplings go...We got our first chickens in april this year, that was the last time I ate chicken. I just can't do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by