Raising a single chick with adult hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by btruegs, Feb 17, 2015.

1. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Can I buy a single rooster chick, take one of my existing hens, place it in a larger brooder with the chick, then add the chick to my existing flock of hens along with the "momma"? will that restart the pecking order? I haven't found anything online.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Is the hen broody? If so, and she accepts the chick to raise, then "yes". If the hen is not broody, she will likely maim or kill the chick.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicken World doesn't work that way. The baby chick would be considered an outsider and probably killed if you followed through on your plan.

The only way you are going to be able to add a new chicken to your flock is to raise the boy chick yourself until it's six months old and fully grown and then carefully and gradually introduce the fellow to the flock, and hope they won't beat him up too badly.

1 person likes this.
  4. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    So I can raise it by it's self?

5. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    I don't really know if she is broody, but she is veeerrry mellow and nice. At the moment, none of my hens are laying, I think due to molting.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Ok, will do. Thank you.

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Why not save yourself all the trouble, and a little chick from being lonely for months on end and just adopt an adult rooster? I bet if you go on Craig's list, you can get one for FREE! And you would have your rooster right NOW!

9. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    I actually was just on there! I think that's what i will do, then i'm also probably saving a life.

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, then! We have a plan! Please let us know how it turns out and what the lucky little fellow looks like and, if you can, post a pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by