Raising a single duckling, No Longer Alone **MORE Pics Added!**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bec, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

We took a little trip down to the Tractor Supply to pick up our horse and chicken food. Well there were the troughs, most were empty but one had Pekin ducklings in it. As my kids and I were gushing over how adorable they were, I kept telling the kids "no, we are not getting any"
    So the girl came over and asked if we were interested, I replied with a no. She then asked me if I noticed the one with the crooked neck and then pointed him out. I picked him up and he holds his head tilted to the right as if he were watching something overhead. The girl then told me that the 'boys' were going to do away with it because no one wants a duckling with a crooked neck. I told her that was terrible. She walked away and came back to tell me that the manager said I could take him for free.
    Sooooo, now I have this incredibly cute pekin duckling with a crooked neck!

Since he is by himself/herself, what can I do to make him/her happy? It really like my kids and makes happy noises when they are near and screams when they leave. [​IMG] He/she loves them!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh Bec that is such a sweet thing you have done. I know nothing of ducks sorry but I hope you get some answers. How's little Maybeline?

3. Bec

Thank You!!

Maybeline turned in to a Marvin and had to go to a new home, but he got to stay with all of his brothers and sisters! The guy took all of them as a little group!

Here are some pictures of the new baby! Notice how he seems to tilt his/her head to the right. It is not terrible, but it is noticeable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can;t see it too much in this one, but when he gets to running he vears to the right!
    [​IMG]

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I think getting a lot of attention will be good. Make it like a pet, give it specail attention liek a dog. Know that it is still a bird, but don't let it know that.

5. Bec

When ever we put it in it's brooder, it screams, will it settle when the lights are out? We have our heat on, so it is very warm in the house, but I also have a red heat bulb on there too. It just seems to be too hot for him/her.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:I raised my ducklings without a light, I put a blanket over the box (with holes to breathe, and a little stuffed animal, but yours is alone so it wont be able to huddle for warmth.

7. Bec

I was wondering if he would be content with a stuffed animal when we aren't able to hold him. He follows us everywhere, well until he goes off track, then he has to regroup and then he is back on track!

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Bec, From what I'm learning, ducks are social birds. You should have got another one to keep it company. I thought someone said to give them vitamins and it will help crooked neck. Maybe search it and you will get some info. Glad you are able to make a great home for it. I really think you need to get another duck. If TSC tries the minimum on you, remind them that you did them a favor and maybe they will let you buy just one. Be careful, it can become addicting. I know from experience now.[​IMG]

9. Bec

I was going to stop by the local feed store and see what they have available, they had really cute Cayugas last spring! I , most likely, won't go back to TSC to get one anyway.

Every spring I end up with some duck or duckling that is in need of rescue, that year, I rescued 2. The spring before I rescued 3. It is almost like they find me!

We always joke and say that we should call our farm, Misfit farms!

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Aww that is too cute, I hope something helps the little duck. I would just love it!
    Thanks for the update on "Marvin" I'm glad you found a good home for them all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by