Raising a variety of meat breeds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by OrganicFarmWife, Mar 2, 2016.

1. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    So i have decided to raise freerange meat chickens this summer. The goal is to have enough birds to give us a chicken a week for the year. I have raised cornish cross last year and while i agree they are delicious, i want to try some other breeds to see if i like their personality better. I will also try to keep a few females back for breeding and fertile eggs for next year.
    I think i will probably get 75 birds, in 25 increments (Hoovers has a 25 bird minimum) I have so far ordered 13 red ranger and 12 rainbow dixie birds to be delivered the 15th. I already have a good brooding room set up in my barn but i still need to build a tractor and rebuild my broiler pen.
    [​IMG]
    We have a old lowboy on the farm that is no longer in use that i was told i could have for the tractor.
    [​IMG]
    We also have some old hog farrowing crates, lots of old tin for roofing and plenty of old wood. Ideally i would like to build everything with stuff we already have on the farm (FIL is a bit of a hoarder it would be great and inexpensive if i could use some of it up)
    This will be many more chickens then i have ever raised and i have little experience building. Any tips or insight will be appreciated.

2. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    After about 2 hours of work i now have the floor done
    [​IMG]

I can now safely walk across the whole thing without boards giving way or falling through a hole.

3. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    This is one of the old outbuildings that must go
    [​IMG]
    I have already caught my two daughters, thing 1 and thing 2, climbing on it.
    [​IMG]
    So it is now a saftey issue. We thought we might be able to reuse most of the lumber and all of the tin roofing.

4. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    This is the design i have in mind to try.

[​IMG]

I got the rough plans from this book
    [​IMG]

It is completely open on one side to help keep the coop cool in the summer heat.

5. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    We have a bunch of these old farrowing cages.
    [​IMG]
    They are about 2×6 and manage to fit perfectly on the trailer. They also, with only a little work, will stack on top of each other.
    [​IMG]
    We will need to get our local welder to design a door for me, but this seems to be very doable and really cuts down on the lumber i will need to buy.
    [​IMG]
    The panels are heavy and so i was not able to do much today. I will need to weight until i have help to build it any higher and i also need to get more plywood.

6. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    A lot has gotten accomplished since i posted last.
    I got the frame built. (Yes i know i put the 2×4s on wrong, it is now too late ylto change :/)
    [​IMG]
    We then got the siding on, we are going to cover it with tin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I got my first order of chicks in.
    [​IMG]
    I got Red Ranger and Dixie Rainbow chicks for my first order. There are 27 in all and all arrived alive from Hoovers.
    [​IMG]
    I did have three that were very weak, but honey water and a hot pad has seemed to make them better
    [​IMG]

8. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I checked on them this morning and everyone was still alive and healthy, looking great!
    [​IMG]

9. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    So far extreemly happy with Hoovers Hatchery.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Love your trailer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by