Raising an injured baby alone or get a companion

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janjan1, Mar 5, 2008.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    I have a going on three week old chick that was injured. It sustained a broken right leg and a broken left foot. I've stablized the broken leg hock and the broken foot also has stabilized tho it's healing crooked. Right leg is not being used at all. The chick gets around, hopping, but is getting around. It's eating, drinking and pooping. My question to the group is, should I continue to raise this chick alone, or get a companion for it? All the other chickens are grown, and the mother hen has rejected it. The sibling chick is much larger than this baby.
    So?

Jan

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I wouldn't get it a companion until it is fully healed.
    JMHO
    Jody

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I had to seprate my small rooster from my other chicks because he has spraddle leg [​IMG] , I try to take him down there with the other for a little at a time since chickens are social animal. I whould try to get the chick to a least have some play time.

Good luck with him [​IMG]

4. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    I put a mirror in the cage with an injured chick and that seemed to help. She sat in front of her reflection and talked all day.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I would socialize the chick with the other chicks as much as possible. But supervise them, to make sure your injured chick does not get hurt or bullied. I find it easier to keep them aquainted with each other at this age, then introducing a single chicken to the flock at an older age. You might even try to put just one of the other chicks with the injured one for short periods of time, again watch to make sure the injured one stays safe.
    In the past I have put a healthy chick in the cage with the injured chick, keeping the cage in an area where I was working, so I could hear any distress calls. Just half an hour a day, can make a difference. I rotated the healthy chicks, so everyone got a turn.
    Good luck.
    I have also found that all this handling of the young chicks, made them more comfortable with me, when I need to take care of an injured or sick hen, once they are adult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by