Raising an only chick... advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennypen, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Out of 15 eggs only one hatched. So I have an only chick.

Any advice? He's lonely. [​IMG]

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    For now, put a mirror with him. I would buy some chicks beacause he should have some friends or he wont know how to be a chicken. good luck!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think some breeds could do okay being raised as an only chick. Brahmas and Cochins are very people friendly breeds. But you would need to give it a LOT of attention, holding and cuddling frequently, even after it reaches maturity.

You don't mention if this is going to be a long term situation. If you plan on getting more chicks right away, which would be best, try to get them as soon as possible so the age difference isn't too big. Chicks are far better off when in a bunch.

If this chick is going to be the only one for the next several months, it will imprint on you, bond with you, be devoted to only you, and be quite possibly content and thrive as long as it gets plenty of attention.

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I found a RIR who's pipping today who will be for sale once it's out tomorrow. They also have silkies due to hatch Monday. Which breed do you think for what I think is a Jersey Giant?

Would one more chick be ok? I don't really want a lot of any more different breeds. The Jersey Giant was a surprise when it popped out. LOL

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Get a feather duster and hang it upside down so the chick can hide in the feathers. Gives them some comfort. Worked well for me when I had 1 lone chick. [​IMG]
    1 more chick would be nice! Either breed. Personal preference.

6. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Do silkies get big enough to free range safely without the worry of hawks?

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Give it a stuffed animal to cuddle with,this is my one silkie chick,hopefully I can put it in with the silkie broody as soon as her chicks hatch wensday.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by