Raising and Growing Our Organic and Not- So-Organic Foods

Pics
Two days of wind has removed much of the surface water, so driveway is finally drying out a bit.

Plants out in greenhouse from nnon to 6 ish yesterday; left celery in their sealed milk jugs inside a green house, inside another green house.

Son built a 3 flat support to hold both flats and hang grow lites.

Looked at future temps-- just when I see a run of night time temps above freezing, the forcast changes. Im tired of running plants out.... and back in..... even if it is actually DH or the kids doing the trucking.

Need a way to cover the GH when 22 is forcasted for the night...... would like to leave out the leeks, the onions and the peas!! I do have one huge comforter-- a B---- to take to the laudromat..... but might be worth it.

No joke. Makes remembering the kid's names rather easy!!! :)

Oh wow! And that’s true!! Definitely unique!! And those actually aren’t bad names, my brother has a friend named Woody (although I’m not sure that’s his actual name, I think it might be a nickname or short for something), but it’s just interesting both of them are named something related to the business. But I guess that’s cool, he must love it/love trees :)

SHe's got it right!!! And here in the US, so we can follow along easily. !!

Gotta check out her recommendations for row cover. And maybe I can save up over the summer for metal conduit; have about 8 pvc pipes bent from a trial a couple years ago trying to get EARLY tomatos.

The variety of tomatoes are cold hardy that are ready to go out; for now just hardening them off. While they can start early, as the spring warms up those started much later ( apparently) catch right up. Meaning more work, for same production. What Im thinking is, a warmer greenhouse situation or equivalent......

My peas and alliums are outside in mini green house. While my phone said 22 degrees, when I checked the mini GH a while later it was reasonably warm as it is in full sun from an early hour, until the trees leaf out in May. Another month of bare trees here.
Herbs are starting to sprout-- dang they take a LONG time.

No visible disturbances in the flats-- maybe all the mice are gone??? One can hope, lol.

Transplanted more lettuce, using another 72 cells; have 72 more cells to fill. Geez, Dowding was right, must use care on sowing lettuce seeds!!

Looked at garden area now that the snows are gone from that area. I want more space!!! Need to get real. It is what it is!

We had dumped horse manure in much of the area last year and just left it; it really has not composted. 3 sides of a compost bin are up and getting filled. Need the flat headed spade shovel to move the material a bit at a time.

It is still chilly as the horses are turned broadside to the sun after eating their breakfast. The dark bay will warm up faster-- to touch her coat is can be HOT; the Grey who is nearly white now will stay longer to warm up.

Roosters are staking out their territory, and sitting up on railings to make sure they are clearly seen.

Picked up carrots Monday. Dogs got their carrots yesterday. Today must remember to bring a carrot to the rabbits. Not organic but fresh not canned. Wonder how old they really are-- how long since harvesting??

Looked up on cvoil.com about BUtcher Boy ORganic coconut oil-- on another forum we are looking at the refining process and the contaiminants that are left that raise the cholesterol levels in the blood, but I am unclear about "organic" and if the same refining by chemicals is used..... left an email in hopes of getting a good answer... might just get PR crap.

Back
Top Bottom