Raising and housing Chickens and Geese together.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickeese, Apr 1, 2017.

1. chickeese

chickeese New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    In just a few days I am going to get 3 new chicks and 2 goslings, I was wondering if they would get along being housed together? I am going to raise them in the same brooder and I would be feeding them UNmedicated chick feed (I read that you could feed goslings that) and when they grew older they would be housed in the same coop but they would have separate runs. Do you think this would work? Any tips or feedback is helpful, thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I keep my geese and chickens together with no trouble (the geese help serve as protection for the chickens, alerting to danger and sending the chickens running back to the coop). They live in the same coop, they share a run, and they free range together.

The only thing to watch out for while brooding them together is to make sure to keep the brooder dry for the chicks (goslings, being waterfowl, will sometimes make quite a mess with their water) and to make sure the chicks, which mature quicker than goslings (in terms of attitude, not size) don't start bullying the goslings.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by