Raising baby chicks & ducklings together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepnpato, Jun 27, 2019.

1. peepnpato

peepnpato In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2019
    Hi! I recently got a chick (Leghorn) about 2-3 weeks old then the next day got 2 ducklings the same age (Muscovy). They live in the same pen and get along fine for the most part. Cuddle each other, etc, however, we just started noticing once in a while the bigger duckling will peck the chicks feet/wings and the smaller ducklings beak slightly aggressively. Should I be worried?? Or is this normal in baby chickens and ducks?
    And does anyone have any tips on raising them together??

Thanks!!

HuffleClaw likes this.
  2. peepnpato

peepnpato In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2019
    Here is a photo of them cuddling :) would love any insight!

Attached Files:

HuffleClaw likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Ducklings noodle everything..
    @HuffleClaw raises them together..

HuffleClaw likes this.
  4. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Hi :frow At this age my ducklings started chasing the chicks. But they did it in a playful manner. The chicks eventually caught on to it and now play along. As long as you don’t notice any injuries, they should be fine. :hugs

5. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    My three ducklings and chicks are being raised together. They will be 4 weeks old this coming Monday.
    Last night one of the chicks was sleeping on top of the 3 ducklings.
    I'm using 5 gallons of water a day. Not because of spillage. But because the ducks love their water. I use a full size cake pan to caught the water... They turn it into a small pond..
    3-4 weeks and they can start enjoying the great outdoors...

6. peepnpato

peepnpato In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2019
    @HuffleClaw i think my chicken is starting to catch on now and playing along with them!

@Steven Bussell that is adorable, my chick does the same thing. Would love to see photos!

My main concern is having them grow up to all get along / co exist together :)

HuffleClaw likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: