Raising Baby Chicks- Need answers

Well personally I don't have an expert opinion just my own opinion to offer. Remember plenty of folks will offer up what works for them. I know I cannot trust my grounds as I live in a region of the world where taking any animal to a vets office inspires allergic reactions in the owners. I did offer them some earth in the form of old used pool sand(dumped on site) in the brooder and when it was obvious they were eating that got chick grit.

Do you know how the land was used prior to you taking posession of it? Obviously it wasn't zoned residential. If it was just farm land you are probably pretty safe from coccidia infections. I would only worry about agricultural chemical residues in the soil in the form of the "cides".

Well personally I don't have an expert opinion just my own opinion to offer. Remember plenty of folks will offer up what works for them. I know I cannot trust my grounds as I live in a region of the world where taking any animal to a vets office inspires allergic reactions in the owners. I did offer them some earth in the form of old used pool sand(dumped on site) in the brooder and when it was obvious they were eating that got chick grit.

Do you know how the land was used prior to you taking posession of it? Obviously it wasn't zoned residential. If it was just farm land you are probably pretty safe from coccidia infections. I would only worry about agricultural chemical residues in the soil in the form of the "cides".

We are in the forest and the land hadn't been touched (for a long period) till we moved here, it is fully treed around us but a large area has been cleared. Also in regards to the grit, would you provide a small bowl of grit beside their feed? Or do you mix it in with their feed? Thanks

At what age do you generally switch to adult chicken grit? All the readings say "base the grit size on the size of the chicken." But I honestly have no clue.
Take a deep breath chicken keeping is meant to be a relaxing activity:hugsI doubt you cause them any harm by offering soil or not. As far as the grit for the next few months it is chick grit till that 4-5 Kilo bag is gone. Relax and enjoy those peepers in the now cause they grow up so fast. Also the adult grit comes in a variety of sizes and chicken take care of themselves and generally make wise choices when offered the chance.

We are in the forest and the land hadn't been touched (for a long period) till we moved here, it is fully treed around us but a large area has been cleared. Also in regards to the grit, would you provide a small bowl of grit beside their feed? Or do you mix it in with their feed? Thanks
Offer grit Free Choice in a separate dish. They know exactly what it is and when and if they need it by instinct.

I offer chicks small sized grit in their coop brooding space, because they will be getting some plants and stuff from outside too. I have sandy soil, and a gravel driveway, and offer some grit until they are running around out there with the adults. By then small stones are what they want as grit.
Really, it's not that hard! Enjoy the process and don't panic. Medicated feed (with amprolium) is the safest choice until they've been on your soil, or playing in clumps of your dirt, for a couple of weeks. Many of us have learned over time that (so far!) we don't need to feed chicks the medicated starter, but finding out the hard way that yours will be ill without it is not fun.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom