1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Baby Chicks - Notable Topic Index - Please Review

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Nifty-Chicken, Thanks for putting this together!

3. raisnchicks

raisnchicks New Egg

Mar 13, 2010
    I am brand new at this. What is grit? Can it be something homemade? Also, doesn't the bright light bulb shining on them day and night hurt or damage their little eyes? (mine are 4 days old). Doesn't it mess up their sleep/wake cycle? They seem to be growing "like weeds," especially their little wing feathers coming out. Thanks, this is a wonderful website.

4. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    I know I have seen it here, or somewhere, before but I am looking for the temp you need to have at the warm end of the Brooder. I am a little surprised that it has not been added to the stickie to the top of this forum. sort of like it is such a simple device it sort of got overlooked. Might help avoid people having problems with there chicks if such information was as readily available as feeding them treats.

Jrobinsonmtplus3 likes this.
  5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    The first week the temp is supposed to be 95 degrees in the brooder, then it goes down to 85 the next week and 80 the following week until the temp gets to room temperature and then you dont need a light anymore. Usually by that time thier feathers are in.

Katrina89 likes this.
  6. mcplumber

mcplumber New Egg

Apr 12, 2010
    i bought some chicks fromTSC on sunday they all have feathers but still the size of a baseball when could i put them oiut in the barn with other animals
    Mike C.

7. humm-n-cluck ranch

humm-n-cluck ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    nice links that will be very helpful!

8. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    Quote:They need to be fully feathered before they are turned outdoors. Expect something like 6 to 8 weeks.
    Thanks for that starting temp. Couldn't remember if it was 90 or 95.

9. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    Is there a chick checklist? A list of all the things one needs/should have before chick arrive? That would be really helpful for first-timers like me.

10. jilli67013w

jilli67013w New Egg

Jul 3, 2009
    We are going to allow our hens to brood and raise the chicks. We have two roosters and 4 hens total, please advise if they would be accepted into the flock from very little or do they need to be separated? We have our old tractor we were going to use thinking this might be the case but need to know so we can move the brooding hen and the eggs. Thanks everyone.

Katrina89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by