1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising baby chicks organic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yoyobantam, Mar 6, 2014.

1. yoyobantam

yoyobantam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi,

I'm wondering about how you raise babies organically. Most chick starter is medicated. How do you supplement chicks if you are giving them unmedicated chick starter.
    Do you end up loosing alot of chicks?

Thank you!

2. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I personally start all chicks with the medicated and after the bag - I go all organic.

3. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I know nothing about chickens but we are using unmedicated and the farmer I bought mine from uses unmedicated. Ive only had them a week ish (the ages range from 4 days to 3ish weeks) but they arent dead yet.

4. chickielips

chickielips Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Same as k dog!

5. sahmhomesteader

sahmhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I plan to do organic as well and have mine on unmedicated starter.

6. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    As much as using the medicated I find that it does help get them off the ground a bit. That in itself is valuable. You are going to lose some young chicks and this way it seems to be advantageous than a negative. Once I go through I bag they get Nutrena Naturewise and scratch and greens etc. from the garden and house. This has worked for my earlier batch a few years ago and am currently doing it with this new batch of chicks. I did lose a couple but that is expected from what I know.

7. UrbanFarming

UrbanFarming Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I do organic soy-free unmedicated and my chicks are fine. Chickens have been around long before medicated feed. I think it's more important to keep their living area clean and dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by