raising baby chicks with hen when can i let them all free with the group

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by saildog, Feb 19, 2013.

1. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I have 7 chicks now 11 days old. I have kept them with the hen in the coop cordoned off in a 4ft sq corner section where the other 16 hens and 2 roosters can see and hear them but not get to them. Am I safe to let them all mingle now? Will the chicks be able to get back up the ramp into the coop at night? Will that mama hen carry them all in? and go back for stragglers ?
    There is pine mulch bedding and I see the chicks eat it along with their food I had them only on newspaper for 3 days so they would learn what the food it but with the adult hen they seem to peck at the bedding more cause she is doing that. Also in the sectioned off corner the adult hen covers their food and water with bedding in about an hour kicking things up and they seem to grow OK but I think they would be better off without her as far as their food and water. Or at least free to get out of that area where she destroys the food and water setup so quickly.
    The chickens free range all day.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd let them out with the flock on a day when you can keep an eye on them. Most of the time the other birds won't dare mess with momma hen! I've never had a rooster go after chicks, either. I like to let momma introduce them to the flock as soon as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by