raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by billm602, Feb 8, 2017.

1. billm602

billm602 New Egg

Feb 5, 2017
    i lost 10 baby chics is there to many what is a good number to have

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not understand your post????????

3. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I am a bit confused how many chicks do you have

4. youtubeminer

youtubeminer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Ok I think he's taking about what's a good amount of chicks that he should get sense he lost 10 chicks. Me personally think you should get as many as you want we started will 11 chicks and ended with 10 just make sure they are safe in their coop!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Better to ask, and wait for, better info than to speculate what they might mean.

@billm602 Welcome to BYC!
    We need more info to help.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with aart - what caused your loss of 10 chicks?

7. Traveler17

Traveler17 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Whats the matter

8. jodybrook

jodybrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    I have two broodies who have been hatching 8 eggs in a clutch over the course of a few weeks. They were transplanted from a friend's fertilized eggs from her flock. I have a 10 day old, 7 day old, 4 day old and 3 day old. One more was born late yesterday. This morning (because I found leg mites on one of my broody chickens) I cleaned out their bedding. Well I guess the stress of having them in the cleaning pen caused a pecking of the baby and then they all attacked her. By the time I got to her she was pretty bad off. She's 1 day old. I've cleaned the wound with iodine and water solution and put neosporine on it using a qtip. I have her inside a cat carrier in the dark closet with a heating pad until I can get a lamp. I didn't have plans to raise these babes, just let the mamas do it. I can do it if need be though, just am not set up to do it. I am going to go grab some pick no more (purple stuff) but how long can she be out of the flock before they won't allow her back in? Is it too late? If so I need info on how to raise a baby chick, what materials to buy and when and how she can be introduced to the flock. She has had water and I gave her a little slurry of chick starter mixed with water. She drank a little of it. She doesn't appear to be in shock, still chirping and standing. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You want be able to put it back in their like that---I would put it in a tote/box with one other chick to keep it company---maybe the youngest and make sure it does not bother this one. Just set-up a light similar to this---feed and water it on the other end of your box/tote. Having the temp under the light around 95 degree's for the first few days is ideal. This member only has a 40 watt bulb in this light---in this pic. Good Luck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by