raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aflad2012, Apr 20, 2012.

1. aflad2012

aflad2012 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't remember having this much fun taking care of baby chickens. We had chickens when I was little, but I just remember having to chase after them and feeding them. The chicks are getting use to me now and are even letting me scratch their necks. They are trying to fly. Does anyone know if they will fly out of the brooder? I bought one of those brooder kits from meyer hatchery. So, I was wondering should I put something over it so they don't fly out.

2. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Hello ! I have had some very young chips make some amazing jumps I do not have an official Brooder kit .. I just watch careful and hope.. I have made some pretty crafty baby baskets and step up coops including using old window screens and what ever I could muster.. Yesterday I had a very fragile Chick (about 30 hours old ) I had separated from another chick though I had them in the same bin.. Worrying for the tiny weaker chick I put her in a special box yet in the same bin as another two day old chick who had been fragile just the day before .. But I felt hearing the other peep through the night would be beneficial to the very fragile chick.. 6 hours later I woke to see that some how this two and a half day old chick had made it over and into a 7" high box to join the other .. As long as you don't have a cat or other possible animal to harm them .. I guess the chicks will tell you if your Brooder kit is adequate : ) And as far s the fun.. Isn't it !!!! I love it the babies are my favorite !!![​IMG]

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]
    Mine always try to escape the brooder. I put some fencing over it sometimes to keep them in. Good Luck with your little ones! :)

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    They most likely will fly out the brooder if it's not covered - you'd be surprised by how high they can fly! We sure were! :lol:
    Don't hesitate to ask any other questions, and enjoy the site. See you round. :frow

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. aflad2012

aflad2012 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    My chicks are a week and 3 days old and it truly is amazing to see how fast they are growing and I made them a little roost with a 2x4 and a 1/2 in piece of stick and they like to get on it and them flap their wings. I also put a mirrow in the corner of their brooder and they just can't get enough of looking at themselves. It so funny to watch. I don't have any indoor pets so we should be good as far as any other animal getting a hold of them. The brooder is about 18 in tall so hopefully they won't jump out

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I use a window screen on top to keep my jumpers in. :thumbsup

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

10. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by