Raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joelharper, Mar 17, 2015.

1. joelharper

joelharper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Can someone please help me. Sunday March 15th. I bought 3 black sexlinks and 3 gold sexlinks from Atwoods. They are all supposed to be girls. But after reading I am worried that this might be a boy that slipped in there. Does anyone know for sure. The black one in question has yellow feet and the other two have black feet. They all have wing bands on them for sexing I assume. This is the first time that I have had chickens. Also what do I do with the wing bands? Do I leave them on or take them off and if so. How. I will post better pics too.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If that chick is a black sex link, it is a boy, the girls will have solid black on the top of their heads... could the chick have been some other breed like Barred Rock? Are the wingbands different in any way? Usually they only wingband the pullets, but if they did both sexes they should be different colors or something.
    You can leave them on or take them off, they are just for identification, if you want to take them off usually they are aluminum... check how they are fastened, some have a tab that is bent over and you can just straighten it and slip it out of the wing, if it is rolled over or riveted you can just snip them apart and take off with diagonal plyers or tin snips etc.

3. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    I bought them from a tractor supply store. They had all the pullets in one bin all had wing clips. They are all red.

4. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    All are supposed to be black sexlink

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If it is a Black Sex-link, then it is definitely a cockerel. If it is an accidental Barred Rock, then there is still hope that it is a pullet.

7. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

The one in question. It was labeled as a black sexlink. These are my first chickens. I was just going by what was told to me.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If it is a Black Sex-Link, it's a male.

9. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    That is what Atwoods had them labeled as.

10. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    Not so sure it's a black sexlink now. I have notice that it's beak is yellowish with a black line in the middle. And the other two black sexlinks have black beaks. I am so lost I have no clue what I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by