1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks98, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Ducks98

Ducks98 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    I have 2 baby ducks in my house right now because of weather.They are both a week old now.This is my first time with baby ducks being raised my the mom.I have a question,When can i introduce a a pool to them because they keep trying to get in the water can?I've read a lot of different things saying that after the baby's hatch the mom duck takes the baby's to the pond or lake.I have mallard ducks.ducks. Plz Help.I can post pics if u want.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have always let mine swim at one week. Only with a small container and supervision. You have to dry them off when they are done and make sure they stay warm. But you have to be right there for when they get tired. But thats just how I do it, other people like to wait longer. And I would love to see pics! [​IMG]

3. Ducks98

Ducks98 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    How should i go about this since the babies are being raised by mom?

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Ok, so you have 1 mom and 2 babies in the house? And you want to let them swim?

I think if I was going to do that, I'd do a rubber dishpan deal. I **always** let mom do all the work. She can & will teach them.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Make sure whatever you use for swimming that the ducklings can get in and out of by themselves. Mama will usually do the rest, but you might want to keep an eye on them just in case.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Good post. [​IMG]

7. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I had a Mom hatch out a baby this spring and she took that baby out swimming in our small pond when it was 2 days old!!! And that baby floated like a little cork and swam like it had been doing it all it's life! PLEASE understand I am NOT saying that is the safest way, but just goes to prove that they are created to swim, and do it well. :)

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    @DucksnDaffodils
    That is true, momma ducks do that. Here I have had moms take day old hatchlings swimming in 35'F weather, ...but it's absolutely 100% Different for ducklings raised by humans vs. duckling raised by duck moms.

@desertdarlene wrote:
    Make sure whatever you use for swimming that the ducklings can get in and out of by themselves. Mama will usually do the rest, but you might want to keep an eye on them just in case.

And she is very right!

(Sorry-- my quote and reply will not work)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by