1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising baby quail. any pics? / ideas?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by texascowboy1979, Jan 9, 2010.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im thinking of getting quail chicks... anyone have pictures of there setup for baby quail... particually the watering tray... feeding tray... and the pen for the babies? Please post all pics so I can get ideas...

2. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I often grind the food the first day or two. Also I put them on paper towels the first few day and sprinkle their food all around and place some in a jar lid. After they figure life out I use the small round chick feeders. I also use the quail waterers.

3. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    I raise them like I do chickens , brooder box and then into there pen/ small chicken coop [​IMG] brooder sorry do not not have any pic of there pens right now [​IMG]

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I use a big plastic tub and a 250 watt bulb as they like to be warmer than chicks it seems. I use paper towels for bedding the first few days and the quail waterers with pebbles in it. The pebbles is because I actually had a batch drown itself in the "no drown quail waterers" once.

5. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I use an aquarium as we like to watch the babies. We use a quail water and a couple little tins for food, and use a couple old baby blankets for bedding. Once they are big enough, they go in the pens. I'm in the process of building two new little quail huts, I'll post pics when I am done.

I tend to use a heating pad rather than a heat lamp in the brooder, as twice I've had the heat lamp knocked down by curious children who want to see the birds. The quail babies run around and come back to the heating pad to sleep. The pens have heat lamps built in though, the kids can't knock those down.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What Breed/ Speces Of Quail---- Because There's A World Of Difference As They Grow.

In General My Brooders Are The Large Rubbermaid Tote Bins You Can Get Almost Anywhere--- We Have A Closeout Store Nearby Called Biglots That Sell Them Very Cheaply. I Cut Out The Middle 2/3's Of The Lid And Use Zip Ties To Attach Either 1" Chicken Wire Or Hardware Cloth To Cover The Resulting Hole In The Lid.... This Helps To Eliminate All Unauthorized Flights! [​IMG] Yes They Can And Will Fly Quickly In Life...

I Use The Standard Heat Light Set Up I Usually Start With 100 Watt White Standard Light Bulb And Place The Light Directly On Top Of The Wire Lid( Never, Ever, Ever, Over The Water Font!!! It Will Heat Up The Water And Attract The Chicks Who Will Drown Easily In This Manner--- So Opposite End Of The Brooder For Water/ Heat) I Line The Brooder With Old Towels For The 1st Week To Prevent Spraddle Leg. After 1 Wk You May Switch To The Bedding Of Your Choice--- I Use Standard--- Dare I Say It? --- Newspaper! I Clean The Brooder Weekly--- Sooner If Wet Or Excessively Dirty--- Remember, Nothing Poops Like A Quail Chick! Cleaning Is Simple--- I Use Multiple Brooders So When Cleaning Day Comes I Just Set Up 1 Of The Clean Spares And Transfer All The Lil Fuzz Balls Into It, Now I Can Take My Time Cleaning The Dirty Brooders--- I Empty Them, Spray Out All Loose Material Then Fill With Water And Add 1 Cup Of Bleach---- Let It Soak For 30+ Minutes Then Empty And Allow To Air Dry--- Once Clean Set It In The Pile With The Rest Of The Clean Ones And Use It Next Week When We Start Brooder Cleaning Day All Over Again...

To Regulate Brooder Temp I Elevate The Light From The Brooder As Necessary And Also Decrease The Wattage Of The Bulb As Necessary--- Start With A Brooder Temp Or 95 And Slowly Decrease Every 3-5 Days Or So Until Room Temp And Fully Feathered Out Chicks

Quail Are Way More Cold Sensitive Than Chickens.

Quail Will Drown Easily.

Feeding Gamebird Starter In Any 1 Of These Ways--- Dry Strait Out Of The Bag, Gound Finer, Wet Mash. Use A Shallow Feed Dish And It Helps To Place A Nice Shiney Dime Or Nickle On Top For The 1st Few Days To Get Their Attention--- Helps To Get Them To Eat.

Speces Behavior Varies Greatly--- White Light With Bobs May Get Bad Results--- Makes Them Mean To Each Other! Real Mean!

Hope This Helps!

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I use cages, aquariums, tubs, boxes, anything I have on hand that I feel would make a good brooder. I like to give the birds AS MUCH room as possible. Especially pheasant and bobwhite chicks. I usually use paper towels for the first 3-4 days of their life...then all pine shavings. I blend the feed for the quail chicks usually feed 20-24% feed...either seems to work just fine. And then always use a Red 250wtt heat light.

Bobwhite Brooders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coturnix Brooders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    excellent advice and pictures, guys! I feel better now..it would be just my luck if all 49 eggs hatched and I had no idea what to do after that lol

9. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    One quick note. If you use waterers designed for quail, not chickens, you don't have to add marbles or rocks to prevent drowning the first few days.

10. Paigey

Paigey Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Hi can you use a 175 watt heat light for 1 week old quails?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by