Raising BB Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cheapchicksfarm, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cheapchicksfarm

Cheapchicksfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    I am thinking about buying some BB turkey poults they are 2-3 weeks old now but I have never raised the meat type and have no idea how long they take to grow out.
    Can you kill them at any age?
    At what age will they reach a 10lb cleaned weight?
    Will they be stupid like I have heard CX chickens are?
    I can only get 20% protein feed but will also free range them will that be okay? Last year I raised Narragansetts on it along with goat milk and free range they did fine
    My narr's where moved outside full time at about two months old they had a house but refused to sleep in it will the BB's be okay in the weather? My narrs love rain and do fine
    I think that is all the questions for now

2. jfergz

jfergz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Ashley, Ohio
    BB whites reach mature weight at about 16 weeks this will yield in the 18 - 22lb range. I personally would try to find a little higher protein starter for them though... we feed 30% and get it at our locaal feed store we have them order it when we order our poults. I believe it is purina honor if I remember right (would have to look at the bag) they will not gain much from free ranging, but it does enhance their flavor IMO

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. Cheapchicksfarm

Cheapchicksfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Thank you I took the plunge and bought 12 BB's 3 weeks old they look great and I can't believe how big they are at such a young age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by