Raising Brahma chicks - advice

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jennyb85, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jennyb85

jennyb85 Just Hatched

Hi, ive got some brahma eggs in the incubator and im trying to read up on them as much as possible before hatch day!

Ive been told by a few people that brahmas suffer with their legs as they graw too big too quick... is this actually the case?

Do i just treat them as i have previous chicks or should i ration their foid so that they dont get too heavy for their little legs?

Ive had a look through the forums but couldnt really see anything about it, sorry if its already covered elsewhere :p

Thanks
    Jen

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Brahma are a very large breed, believe it's only surpassed in size by the Jersey Giant. One the flip side, just like the Jersey they are slow to mature. They grow slow enough for the leg bones to develop and carry the weight.

Perhaps what the person telling you has more to do with roosts being too high. All of the heavier breeds have potential to injure themselves jumping down from too high a roost. May not be enough room for them to flap and slow decent or landing on a hard surface. Leg injuries can and do happen with heavier breeds and heights. It's about physics not the breed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. jennyb85

jennyb85 Just Hatched

That makes sense, i'll put a lower one in the coop just to be on the safe side

Thanks egghead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by